Removing Commercials from DVR Recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bzz

Removing Commercials from DVR Recordings

Post by bzz »

What are people using to remove commercials from DVR recordings & adding the edited file back to the DVR storage? I've been trying to do this with VideoRedo but I cannot find a setting that doesn't strip the meta data the SD DVR requires.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Re: Removing Commercials from DVR Recordings

Post by elabra »

bzz wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:30 pm
What are people using to remove commercials from DVR recordings & adding the edited file back to the DVR storage? I've been trying to do this with VideoRedo but I cannot find a setting that doesn't strip the meta data the SD DVR requires.
MCEBuddy works great on a Windows machine. You did not mention the platform you are on and I don't recognize VideoRedo. Lots of info on MCEBuddy both on these forums and elsewhere.

There is a free version of MCEBuddy you can try to see if it works for you but it can be slow. There is a paid version that does the same thing as the free version but allows for much faster processing.

elabra
Device ID: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra »

bzz wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:30 pm
MCEBuddy works great on a Windows machine. You did not mention the platform you are on and I don't recognize VideoRedo. Lots of info on MCEBuddy both on these forums and elsewhere.

There is a free version of MCEBuddy you can try to see if it works for you but it can be slow. There is a paid version that does the same thing as the free version but allows for much faster processing.

Your mileage will vary based on what type of machine you run it on but in my case - running on the same machine as my recording (Windows i5 system with 8 MB memory) engine I usually can process a 1 hour show in about 12-15 minutes from start to finish.

bzz

Post by bzz »

elabra wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:56 pm

Your mileage will vary based on what type of machine you run it on but in my case - running on the same machine as my recording (Windows i5 system with 8 MB memory) engine I usually can process a 1 hour show in about 12-15 minutes from start to finish.
Hi @elabra & thanks for the reply. I am using Windows 10. I did find MCEBuddy after posting this and am giving the trial a spin. I see they added some HDHR output profiles since I last gave it a try. I never had good luck getting consistent results with comskip, even with tweaking the ini. MCEBuddy does support vprj (VideoReDo project files) as a source for cuts but it appears to be applying them incorrectly. I posted over on the MCEBuddy form about this but haven't received a response. I find the cut editor in comskip to be quite cumbersome, at lease compared to VideoReDo. VideoReDo is also considerably quicker than MCEBuddy, at least for my usage.

I'm currently playing around with the TSDuck library and so far I am able to extract the metadata from the SD DVR recordings & convert it to ASCII Json. I've also been able to mux this metadata with an edited SD DVR recording and have the SD DVR recognize & play the new file. Now I need to figure out how to edit the metadata to adjust the duration of the recording as the SD DVR is still presenting the file with the original duration.

mike808
Device ID: (K) Extend 10522C9A ; Quatro 10740D6C

Post by mike808 »

MCEBuddy inserts the metadata with corrected duration values after it processes the file. Also, MCEBuddy now comes with a Custom Cuts utility that might be of help if it can process vrpj files, and if not, ask in the fourms for vrpj support to be added to either Custom Cuts or MCEBuddy via command line or configuration processing hooks.

Here are some additional HDHR metadata utilities: https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/HDHRUtil
And there are some posts in here about various device APIs to get device info and guide data.

Definitely worth the contribution to support continued development, and MCEBuddy is still actively supported in the forums, updated, and developed.

I have been fine with the default comskip. It isn't perfect (weather/news crawls), but I don't let good enough be the enemy of perfection.
On install, you have a choice of Comskip or ShowAnalyzer. Maybe SA might work better for you?

Also, I find that Plex is better for presenting my library of recordings and watch them through that instead of the HDHR viewer or the Plex DVR because we watch most TV through a **** (rhymes with "Steve-O" - is petty censoring of other DVRs in the forums really needed, SD?), and it doesn't have an HDHR viewing app, but it does have a Plex app.