Firestick Freezing

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
NedS
Silicondust

Re: Firestick Freezing

Post by NedS »

In that case, there might be something bigger going on here that needs to be looked at. Most cases, that I can think of, that would prevent the app from reporting diagnostic data to our servers would also prevent it from communicating with the HDHomeRun unit itself. Since the app gets far enough along to show some video that would rule out those cases that I am thinking of (VPNs, different sub-network stuff, ad blockers, DNS issues, etc). I will ask the development team if there is some other way we can access those diagnostic logs.

Morphis

Post by Morphis »

So you still don't see it? Wow interesting. Its on still. Strange thing this. While I love your app. I've had any issues with it up until recently.

I also have Plex pass and a Plex server. I tested these same channels and that app and I don't noticed the same issues like I am having with the HDHomeRun app.

Reason I like the HDHomeRun app because I don't have to have the Plea server running all the time.

It's a weird issue none the less. I've looked on my router settings and not running a VPN. Do have a adocker but I don't use it all the time.

It was suggested by Amazon to factory reset the fire tv stick. But again why is it only affecting the HdHomeRun app.

Resetting it isn't a problem but I just don't want to do something for nothing.

Morphis

Post by Morphis »

So any word on what is going on. I checked again and don't see anything that is odd. I've done extensive testing on all my firesticks and while it's noticeable on my one device I notice it on my other devices just not as bad.

This is when I am using HDHomeRun app.

I can use Disney+, Netflix, and Amazon I don't experience any the symptoms.

Plex the same. All those apps work very well across all devices.

Now awhile back the HDHomeRun app at one time worked excellent. Not a bit of problem. The app worked excellent.

Now I did noticed a big difference after the app had been updated. So I really think it isn't the app but more of a update issue. It's not the HDHomeRun device the Turner because it works wonderful with Plex.

I'd check into see if the development team could look into the app itself as I think that's where the problem is.

ddgriggs

Re: Firestick and TV Freezing

Post by ddgriggs »

I have locking up, freezing ever since the 20200318 update on my Toshiba 33LF221U19 FireTV.
All other apps work just fine. This just started after this last firmware update.

My Skystream III Android box has not updated the firmware and works fine using 20190625 (app) / 20200505 (UI). I am afraid to try the 3/18/20 update.

I have an Skyworth 49U5A Android tv that work just fine on 20200318 (app) / 20200505 (UI).

This new 20200318 update is unusable. I can't even get into Setup to check send diagnostic box. It locks up and audio chopps 10 seconds after the app loads and then the TV reboots after 20-25 seconds.

I see plenty of posts about 20200318 update and Firestick/tv issues.

Please fix this ASAP.
Thank you, David

wcphills

Post by wcphills »

I have been having the same issues: freezing, audio out of sync with video, playback freezes then jumps back or forward to end. Last response from HD Homerun to trouble ticket was on April 28. Several firesticks all have same issues. Firestck 4K. Id 10719B30. I have followed directions from the last reply to trouble ticket including: scan, turn on send diagnostics, power down and up.... don't recall the exact sequence, but I followed the procedures numerous times. I just did the scan channels, power down, turn on send diagnostics routine again.

I don't want to go to Plex since my wife has so many shows set to record. WE need some help. Like the other posts in this string, it is on YOUR end and it always happens after after an update. Extremely frustrating.

Morphis

Post by Morphis »

See I knew I wasn't the only one. Still having issues. Its their app I am almost sure of it. Stutter lag jumpy freeze.

Was never like this.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We have some Fire TV specific fixes that might help here. It seems Fire OS is not good about throttling things back if the SoC gets too hot, so we are going to pull CPU usage back and see if it helps (seems to in our tests so far).

consorts
Device ID: 378163771 55318008

Post by consorts »

i finally got around to reinstalling the hdhr app being hosted by the amazon store which i assume includes the march 2020 updates that finally got the audio to sync with the video. i know this fix took nearly a year to accomplish (since the 4k came out in 2019) so i'm sure it took a great effort to accomplish. i'm certain it's not wifi latency related, since i tried my stick lan wired as well (10/100 micro-usb) and saw the same issue. this frame skipping jitter occurs both direct from tuner and using hdhr to playback dvr episodes off my wired to the lan nas.

i just wanted to point out that as good as this fix is, you still see a noticeable amount of frame skipping which does not impact the audio, but makes any movement on the video noticeably jittery which is a shame even when using the 720p encoding on the fly Extend tuner. i wanted to ask developers where is the remaining performance bottleneck? i ask because i'm considering upgrading my 4k stick to the s922x a8.1 based 4k cube and wondered if the 4+2 core chip will improve decoding speed enough to rid me of these exclusively hdhr app jitters.

https://www.amazon.com/all-new-fire-tv- ... B07KGVB6D6

:?

hancox

Post by hancox »

I see similar behavior on a non-4k firestick, as well - constant annoying video stuttering.