HDHomeRun DVR folder on WD PR4100

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
brianwech

HDHomeRun DVR folder on WD PR4100

Post by brianwech » Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:04 pm

I recently purchased a Western Digital PR4100 MyCloud Pro NAS and set it up to serve as my HDHomeRun DVR server.

All was running well until earlier today (March 24 2020) when I noticed on a HDHomeRun client that all of my prior recordings were gone. Imagine the sinking feeling I had when I first noticed this!

However, upon investigation I noticed a rather confusing situation regarding the HDHomeRun folder on the PR4100 NAS in which the recordings are stored. The instructions for installing the HDHomeRun DVR server on the PR4100 include a step to "create a share named HDHomeRun". I had done this and all was working well. But today I noticed that this share only included the recent recordings and none of the prior recordings. But I also noticed that there was now a folder within the Public folder named HDHomeRun, and that it contained all of my prior recordings.

To clarify:

Folder per instructions: /shares/HDHomeRun/
Folder with prior recordings: /shares/Public/HDHomeRun/

When I use the my.hdhomerun.com site to check my HDHomeRun RECORD "System Status" I find that it shows a Record Path of /shares/Public/HDHomeRun/.

Things seem to have "straightened" themselves out now, thank goodness, but I think it's only because the DVR had an opportunity to re-record the programs which had been recorded while it was "temporarily" using the /shares/HDHomeRun/ folder rather than the /shares/Public/HDHomeRun/ folder.

Both folders still exist and the DVR is using the /share/Public/HDHomeRun/ folder for new recordings, which correlates with the info reported by the HDHomeRun RECORD "System Status". But I'm not sure how/why the DVR software created and chose to use that folder, when the instructions which I followed clearly stated to create a share named HDHomeRun which equates to /shares/HDHomeRun/, *not* /shares/Public/HDHomeRun/.

If anyone can provide some clarity I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun DVR folder on WD PR4100

Post by nickk » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi,

The older NAS installer required that you create a HDHomeRun share which ends up being /shares/HDHomeRun.

Then we introduced WDC apps (the NAS installer now installs the WDC app if it detects you are on a supported WDC device).

The app should first try /shares/HDHomeRun in case it was previously set up that way, and failing that, it creates /shares/Public/HDHomeRun and uses that.

Not sure what happened in your case. Are you still seeing a problem?

Nick

brianwech

Re: HDHomeRun DVR folder on WD PR4100

Post by brianwech » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks for the insight Nick.

I'm no longer seeing a problem. I deleted the /shares/HDHomeRun share which I had manually created.