Adding File to DVR Recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bzz

Adding File to DVR Recordings

Post by bzz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:32 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has any insights into how I can add a file to the recording directory for the HDHomeRun Record Engine & have it appear with the other recordings made by the HDHomeRun DVR. I'm using a Windows 10 1909 PC with Record Engine Version: 20200225.

I have a .mpg file in the same format as the other HDHR DVR recordings named in the same manner as other recordings.

Code: Select all

{Show Name} S{Season Number ##}E{Episode Number ##} {Date Record YYYYMMDD} [{Air Date YYYYMMDD}-{Air Time HHMM}].mpg.
I drop this into the DVR storage directory for the show & restart the HDRecord service but it does not show up in the list of recordings. If I look at the DVR log I see the entry "Recorded: missing metadata" followed by the path to the missing episode.

I've looked in C:\Program Files\Silicondust, %ProgramData%, and %AppData% for each user but am unable to find a database or some other storage that could be edited to add the new file. I've also searched the registry for entries containing "SiliconDust" but an not finding anything useful.

rpcameron

Re: Adding File to DVR Recordings

Post by rpcameron » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:50 pm

The files also have the metadata embedded in the beginning of the file itself.

However, while I believe you can replace the files that have been recorded (such as a remuxed recording with the commercials removed), I don't think that the software supports adding arbitrary files.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:57 pm

As long as you have proper/decent metadata you can add it... basically it is 64 ts packets that include much of what you would see if you were to look at a single program from the recorded_files.json but it isn't as simple as putting just the text there as they are ts packets so there are a few bytes inserted every 188 bytes so you may wish to look the first (approx.) 12000 bytes of a recording (its a little more but you will see that most of the packets are "empty")

bzz

Post by bzz » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:32 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:57 pm
As long as you have proper/decent metadata you can add it... basically it is 64 ts packets that include much of what you would see if you were to look at a single program from the recorded_files.json but it isn't as simple as putting just the text there as they are ts packets so there are a few bytes inserted every 188 bytes so you may wish to look the first (approx.) 12000 bytes of a recording (its a little more but you will see that most of the packets are "empty")
Interesting. I've been looking around for tools to edit the metadata but am not having much luck. If you're aware of any I wouldn't mind being pointed in the right direction. Thanks for the reply!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:03 pm

We have an internal tool (command-line)... let me see about getting it released...

bzz

Post by bzz » Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:47 pm

nickk wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:03 pm
We have an internal tool (command-line)... let me see about getting it released...
That would be great, thank you!

bzz

Post by bzz » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:24 pm

Hey @nickk, don't want to be a pest, but any chance you might be able to share the tool you mentioned? Just wondering if I should be looking for other options. Thanks!