New way to access your HDHomeRun device webpage

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: New way to access your HDHomeRun device webpage

Post by nickk »

New: as of the 20200521 firmware you can also go to xxxxxxxx.local where xxxxxxxx is the device id of your HDHomeRun.

Sion

Post by Sion »

nickk wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:23 pm
New: as of the 20200521 firmware you can also go to xxxxxxxx.local where xxxxxxxx is the device id of your HDHomeRun.
Still doesn't work for me. Firefox, chrome, Edge, http://xxxxxx.local does not work (windows 10).

greenlight

Post by greenlight »

Both hdhr-XXXXXXXX.local and XXXXXXXX.local work for me. I have a Connect device and an Extend device. Both of my devices are running the 20200521 firmware. I am using the Safari browser on a Mac mini running macOS version 10.15.6 (Catalina.)

JustFax

Post by JustFax »

I can't figure out which HDHomeRun device that you are referring to regarding accessing its web page. Is it the HDHomeRun Tuner device, or the HDHomeRun RECORD device, or the Android app for FireTV, or the the Windows 10 app, or what?? What is shown on this web page? Since I don't know which device that you are discussing, I would not recognize the web page that you are talking about either, since I don't know what is displayed on it.

I tried all the various URLs such as "hdhr-XXXXXXXX.local" and "http://XXXXXXXX.local" and "http://hdhomerun.local/", but none of them worked for me while using FireFox and Windows 10.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

What are you trying with? What type of router and dns are configured. For instance typically android won't work. Some versions of windows require itunes installed (bonjour service). Some just won't ever work properly with mdns without major changes.

JustFax

Post by JustFax »

signcarver wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:14 pm
What are you trying with? What type of router and dns are configured. For instance typically android won't work. Some versions of windows require itunes installed (bonjour service). Some just won't ever work properly with mdns without major changes.
To answer your question, Signcarver, my router is a TP-Link TL-R600VPN. I do not have the VPN features or the UPnP function configured as allowable or active. My DNS is configured in FireFox as DNS over HTTPS, and I'm using CloudFlare as my DNS provider. I tried disabling DNS over HTTPS, but no joy. I'm not familiar with mdns, so I don't know whether I have it implemented or not.

As for my original question, I will ask it in another way: What HDHomeRun Device is this forum-posting talking about? Is it the HDHomeRun Tuner Device? And what webpage are we are talking about accessing, the webpage which shows:

HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO
Model: HDHR5-2US
Device ID: (Actual ID redacted)
Firmware: 20200521

Channel Lineup
Tuner Status
System Status
Installation Instructions

I can easily access this webpage by directing FireFox to the LAN IP address of the Tuner device.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Something might be blocking multicast traffic on your network. Are UPnP features working (also multicast based)?

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

http://hdhomerun.local is a "random" device (most likely first turned on since firmware update but may be it truly is random by just announcing itself, and/or last turned on or some other function SD uses as to whether to update)... device, not recording engines, unless such is in the device like servio/scribe. It is not very useful when one has more than one device

http://hdhr-xxxxxxxx.local is a specific device (the x's are your device id)

It utilizes mDNS... some tp-link products have a DoS protection issue as they think mDNS is a form of attack not properly checking if it is indeed that attack as they wrote a more catch all type of block rather than try to catch the actual attack, and from what I have read they already had something in place to catch that issue anyway that actually works with mDNS. I probably wouldn't disable any DoS setting unless it allowed you to specify which type of filters to use. You also may have to play with multicast/igmp settings if you wish to get it to work. Sometimes on clients trying to connect to such .local address, you need to make sure your dns server is set via dhcp as sometimes static settings will always attempt to use that dns server rather than use mdns for .local (I have only read about this as I have never had issue).

Personally I wouldn't worry about it and just know how to connect to your devices by other means (such as my.hdhomerun.com, hdhomerun_config, setup, actual ip address, etc.)