New way to access your HDHomeRun device webpage

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

New way to access your HDHomeRun device webpage

Post by nickk »

New feature...

After installing the latest firmware, open a web browser and go to http://hdhomerun.local - this will display the device webpage of your HDHomeRun.

Windows/Mac installer for installing the latest firmware:
viewtopic.php?f=126&t=20613

If you have more than one HDHomeRun you can go to hdhr-xxxxxxxx.local where xxxxxxxx is the device id of your HDHomeRun.

Edit: As of the 20200521 firmware you can also go to xxxxxxxx.local where xxxxxxxx is the device id of your HDHomeRun.

Nick

Jackamus
Device ID: 1316E070, 1323748C, 13253D8E

Re: New way to access your HDHomeRun device webpage

Post by Jackamus »

When I type that into the address bar of my browser it goes right to search on google? Am I do something wrong?

Jackamus
Device ID: 1316E070, 1323748C, 13253D8E

Post by Jackamus »

Nevermind, it seems to work now. However, I did submit a ticket for another issue.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

nickk wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 am
New feature...
I can (mostly reliably) get my HDHR3-CC to reboot by running "avahi-browse -a" on my network. System log shows "19700101-00:00:00 System: reset reason = watchdog". Device-ID available upon request (diagnostics are on, so perhaps you already have the logs).

KNKLHEAD

Post by KNKLHEAD »

Hi, Nick. Does this mean we'll be able to watch DVR'd shows without internet access? (That may be a dumb question!)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

gtb wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:57 pm
nickk wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:17 am
New feature...
I can (mostly reliably) get my HDHR3-CC to reboot by running "avahi-browse -a" on my network. System log shows "19700101-00:00:00 System: reset reason = watchdog". Device-ID available upon request (diagnostics are on, so perhaps you already have the logs).
This should be fixed now in the beta2 release for today.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

KNKLHEAD wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:19 pm
Hi, Nick. Does this mean we'll be able to watch DVR'd shows without internet access? (That may be a dumb question!)
This is just a way to access HDHomeRun units without knowing the IP address. Offline app access through the official HDHomeRun app will come when there's some time to work on the way the app cache's UI files (there were some issues with how it was being handled before, and it didn't work reliably for most platforms).

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt »

Works in IE, Chrome doesn't seem to know what to do and just does a Google search for hdhomerun.local. Interestingly enough the first link in the search is my.hdhomerun.com.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

GetMatt wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:51 pm
Works in IE, Chrome doesn't seem to know what to do and just does a Google search for hdhomerun.local. Interestingly enough the first link in the search is my.hdhomerun.com.
With Chrome you need to explicitly add http:// in front - ie http://hdhomerun.local

Good feedback - I have edited my first post.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We found and fixed a bug... if you installed 20200220beta1 please upgrade to 20200220beta2.

Nick

speedyrite

Post by speedyrite »

Is there (or will there also be) a shortcut way to browse directly to the HDHomeRun RECORD page?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

What are you asking about? Scribe/servio? An engine on a nas or pc?

For the former just add /recorded_files.html to get to the recorded page.

For the later it wouldn't do you much good for such mdns as the port is required. I always suggest that one configures the port number that way one can easily get to the pages.

For instance my pc can be accessed by http://pcname:port or one of my myclouds as http://wdmycloud:port but if you don't specify port in the configuration you would never know what is currently being used without a tool as it can change on reboot if not specified.

edit: by the way there are ways to set up the server to redirect to the correct port (again such port should be static) but such would typically be out of what SD can provide automatically and by the way I believe mdns may support the addition of port numbers but I have seen some browsers not handle such... also keep in mind the "id" of record is a UUID so you are asking for a shortcut that may be like hdhr-00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000.local though for those with one engine it could be hdhr-record.local

mike808
Device ID: (K) Extend 10522C9A ; Quatro 10740D6C

Post by mike808 »

This could be an issue as the browsers move to push everything to use TLS (aka SSL) and start putting up big ugly warning signs for non-HTTPS traffic.
That would mean that the local webserver listening on wherever "hdhomerun.local" maps to would need to have a legit certificate, and none will issue to .local (or other non-public TLDs in DNS).

It is possible, with some nifty trickery, and that is exactly what Plex did. I doubt the cost to do that with a public CA (Entrust is who Plex used) is attractive to SiliconDust.
If anyone wants to dig into what Plex did to enable TLS/SSL with real public certs, PM me. I'm happy to share (a little - I'm developing a product in this space).

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

mike808 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:52 am
This could be an issue as the browsers move to push everything to use TLS (aka SSL) and start putting up big ugly warning signs for non-HTTPS traffic.
That would mean that the local webserver listening on wherever "hdhomerun.local" maps to would need to have a legit certificate, and none will issue to .local (or other non-public TLDs in DNS).

It is possible, with some nifty trickery, and that is exactly what Plex did. I doubt the cost to do that with a public CA (Entrust is who Plex used) is attractive to SiliconDust.
If anyone wants to dig into what Plex did to enable TLS/SSL with real public certs, PM me. I'm happy to share (a little - I'm developing a product in this space).
I think Plex uses a dns name that implies the local IP, plus a unique id and domain. The certificate was a wildcard for the local IP part which is used by the DNS server to generate a response. Cleaver but expensive... with what we were quoted it would add almost $20 to the cost of the product (and require internet access).

For HTTPS another option would be to provide a root certificate customers can optionally install. Everything would still work HTTP without the cert.

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 »

I can find it on my own so no worries. but..not working in IE or chrome in Windows .

Yet it works fine with Firefox in Ubuntu..