Recordings not showing up in Recorded list - txpenguin

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
txpenguin

Recordings not showing up in Recorded list - txpenguin

Post by txpenguin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:32 pm

This issue is not limited to Windows. I am seeing the same problem - and have for the last week or so:

Windows HDHomeRun App
Amazon Fire TV App

Talking to DVR service running on Ubuntu Linux 18.04 -- version = hdhomerun_record_linux_20200121beta1

Recordings happen, I see them happen in the logs, I see the files on disk, I can even move them and play the .mpg files on my PC. However, neither the Windows App nor the Amazon Fire TV App show the new recordings in the interface. Restarting the app does not help, restarting the device (PC or FireTV) does not help...

How can this be resolved?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Recordings not showing up in Recorded list - txpenguin

Post by jasonl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:40 pm

What's the device ID for your HDHomeRun and which recordings are missing?

txpenguin

Post by txpenguin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:00 pm

Device ID = Device ID: 1327A9E1
Firmware = Firmware: 20190621
Missing Shows = Everything on FoxNews (each night this week), Tucker Carlson, Hannity, Laura Ingrahm. Again, files are on the disk - just not in the UI.

Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm

How is the recording drive attached to the PC and what filesystem is it using?

txpenguin

Post by txpenguin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:26 pm

It is direct attached to a linux machine, running hdhomerun on a linux vm, filesystem is attached to the vm as type 9p (effectively network mounted on a local host).

This worked perfectly (well, almost) for some time. Recently updated apps and things went south. Previously, all I had to do was navigate away from the "Recordings" screen, like to "Tasks", then back, and they'd be there. Now, even that doesn't work.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:48 pm

Try clearing out some of the other stuff you have in there that is not holding actual recordings from the DVR. Some network filesystems have limits on the number of directories that can be monitored by the DVR, and if you go over that limit, it just doesn't get notifications from the OS. It looks like you have a lot of miscellaneous junk in there that isn't DVR recordings, so that may be causing you to hit the limit unexpectedly.

txpenguin

Post by txpenguin » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Ok, I've done that - created a sub folder and moved all existing HDHomeRun DVR recorded directories/files under that. Then updated the hdhomerun.conf file to point to this directory.

Restarted the server/service ... restarted the HDHomeRun tuner (normally needed to make it work at all). Now - none of my previously recorded shows are showing up at all. File permissions are unchanged, the log shows that the hdhomerun_record service sees and parses all directories but shows "Recorded: directory /var/hdhomerun/recordings/dvr/{show_name}/{show_mpg_file} with 0 subdirs and 0 recordings" (where {} is any show in the directory). What just happened?

Prior to this change, at least shows recorded weeks ago would show in the Recorded section of the app. Now, nothing is there...?

EDIT: It actually now seems like the Apps are simply not seeing the HDHomeRun_Record server/service - Only 1 device 'found' during app start... this seems to happen very often -- and I have not been able to figure out what 'makes it work' ... but eventually some sequence of reboots/power cycles of tuner/etc. makes is magically begin behaving again. Please advise.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:33 am

Hi,

The diagnostic log from the record engine is showing issues.

First problem - the record engine is finding the recordings ok but it isn't finding a HDHomeRun on the network.

Does your HDHomeRun have a 192.168.100.x IP address and is the VM bridged to your actual LAN (bridged, not NAT)?

Edit - I found one instance where the HDHomeRun was detected, but then it couldn't be found the next time the record engine ran the detection process. Might be best to run a packet capture on the machine hosting the VM while starting the record engine. It would also be good to enable "send diagnostic information" on the HDHomeRun unit itself so we can check what the HDHomeRun is seeing.

Nick

txpenguin

Post by txpenguin » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:59 pm

> Does your HDHomeRun have a 192.168.100.x IP address and is the VM bridged to your actual LAN (bridged, not NAT)?

Correct, both are on the 192.168.100.x network, No NAT anywhere.

This seems to be a common problem - happens anytime one reboots/restarts. Is there a particular order that this should happen?

Diagnostic logging has been enabled on the HDHomeRun Tuner. Thanks!