HDHomeRun DVR Sanity Check

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bzz

HDHomeRun DVR Sanity Check

Post by bzz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:57 pm

I just wanted to double check my understanding of how the HDHomeRun DVR is supposed to work and how it can be configured with the HDHomeRun app.

My understanding is that there are basically 3 ways to schedule a TV series to record.
1 - All Episodes - This will record all the episodes of the series on any / all channels. If an episode has already been recorded it will not be recorded again unless the "Delete & Re-Record" option is used.

2 - Current Season - This will record all the episodes of the series on any / all channels from the current season. If an episode has already been recorded it will not be recorded again unless the "Delete & Re-Record" option is used.

3 - Individual Episode - This will record a single episode of the series on any / all channels from the current season.

Only one of the 3 options above can exist for a single TV Series at any given time. For example, if I have setup a TV Series task to record with the Current Season option, then select a single episode to record from a previous season, the Current Season task is deleted & replaced with the Individual Episode task. Is my understanding of things correct so far?

Additional Limitations
1 - There is no method to limit any of the 3 types of recording tasks to a specific channel.
2 - There is no method to limit a recording to a general time of day (e.g. around 7pm).
3 - There is no method to record only new episodes of a TV series.

Are these limitations also correct?

I would like to use the HDHomeRun DVR but if my understanding of its capabilities as described above is accurate it's not going to fit my needs.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun DVR Sanity Check

Post by jasonl » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:06 pm

1 & 2 are correct. 3 is wrong; if you create an individual recording it will only record that specific show at that specific time on that specific channel.

Recordings can be limited to a specific channel using third-party tools. It is not currently possible to limit them using only the HDHomeRun app; this is on our to-do list.

There is no method to specific certain times of day.

The current season option effectively replaces the new episodes only option. A new only option is actually worse given that the "new" indicator is not 100% reliable, especially when shows get bumped back a week for things like the president going on TV in primetime to announce something.

bzz

Post by bzz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:42 pm

Thank you for the clarification! Is my understanding correct that I CANNOT setup a TV Series recording for the Current Season, lets say South Park, currently Season 22, AND a second one time recording to capture one missed episode from season 10?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:47 pm

Yes.

bzz

Post by bzz » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks again for the info jasonl. Do you have any recommendations on how to accomplish that task?
One thought I had would be setting up a second Record Engine on a second PC & use that for instances when I want to have two different types of Record Tasks for the same TV Series. Any idea if that would work, would I be able to select the desired Record Engine instance in the HDHR App?

Regardless of the answer, I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:21 pm

That wouldn't work unless you segregate networks and use multiple tuning devices and get 2 accounts as the rules are in the cloud (accessed using the DeviceAuth of the tuner) and if your devices are on the same account, each will have the same set of rules.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:29 pm

You'd have to either schedule everything as one-offs or delete and recreate the tasks.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

The record engine supports doing a recent rule (this season) plus any number of one time recordings for older episodes.

Let me check regarding the UI.

Nick

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:09 pm

That is what I thought it did, at least at some time, as long as one later adds it as a DateTimeOnly Rule... but many developers "always" use add rather than change which is why I think it got removed in the new UI at some point as people were getting rules overwritten on changes. I think there had been another back end change since then that may also have had the issue so I wasn't sure on the current state of things.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:59 pm

nickk wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am
The record engine supports doing a recent rule (this season) plus any number of one time recordings for older episodes.

Nick
I can confirm, recent + one-time recordings can co-exist for the same show.

bzz

Post by bzz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:53 pm

nickk wrote:

Nick
This doesn't appear to be the case for me using the HDHomeRun App on Win 10 (Version 20191209 (App) 20200128 (UI). HDHR3-US & Record engine are Version 20190621. I'm assuming the "Recent" rule you refer to corresponds to the "Current Season" option in the HDHR App.

Here's what happens for me:
1. Schedule TV Series using the "Current Season" option.
2. Browse details of the series from the tasks tab. I see the 1st run of each episode from the current season has a red dot indicating the episode will be recorded.
3. Things work as expected.
4. Browse details of the series from the tasks tab.
5. Select a two episodes which are not from the current season, and not set to record. Set these episodes to record.
6. Go back to the tasks view. The "series" is still listed.
7. Close the HDHR App.
8. Open the HDHR App.
9. Browse to the Tasks tab. I now see entries for the two episodes that I had selected in step 5. The "series" recording task is not displayed & I assume it has been deleted.

bzz

Post by bzz » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:55 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:59 pm
I can confirm, recent + one-time recordings can co-exist for the same show.
Are you managing the recording tasks using the HDHR app? I am unable to get it to schedule recent + one-time recordings.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 pm

bzz wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:53 pm
nickk wrote:

Nick
This doesn't appear to be the case for me using the HDHomeRun App on Win 10 (Version 20191209 (App) 20200128 (UI). HDHR3-US & Record engine are Version 20190621. I'm assuming the "Recent" rule you refer to corresponds to the "Current Season" option in the HDHR App.

Here's what happens for me:
1. Schedule TV Series using the "Current Season" option.
2. Browse details of the series from the tasks tab. I see the 1st run of each episode from the current season has a red dot indicating the episode will be recorded.
3. Things work as expected.
4. Browse details of the series from the tasks tab.
5. Select a two episodes which are not from the current season, and not set to record. Set these episodes to record.
6. Go back to the tasks view. The "series" is still listed.
7. Close the HDHR App.
8. Open the HDHR App.
9. Browse to the Tasks tab. I now see entries for the two episodes that I had selected in step 5. The "series" recording task is not displayed & I assume it has been deleted.
I tried all of those steps and had no issue, but then I noticed I was using the beta UI. I switched to the normal UI and sure enough, the series recording disappears. Whatever has happened appears to already be fixed. You can enable "access to early features" in the settings menu to try the fix out, if you'd like.

bzz

Post by bzz » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:11 pm

NedS wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:42 pm
I tried all of those steps and had no issue, but then I noticed I was using the beta UI. I switched to the normal UI and sure enough, the series recording disappears. Whatever has happened appears to already be fixed. You can enable "access to early features" in the settings menu to try the fix out, if you'd like.
Thanks for taking the time to reply NedS. Good to hear a fix is already in Beta, I'll give a try!