How to stop Automatic Tuner Re-Scans

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
robert_i

How to stop Automatic Tuner Re-Scans

Post by robert_i »

Dear ALL,

Is there anyway to Stop THE HDHomeRun Tuner from automatically re-scanning, as this operation keeps screwing up my channel mapping ?
In practice, this action appears to be finding duplicate channels with the same channel index number and then decides to 'ditch' my preferred choices.
(I assume the software is selecting the stronger signal gain) In my case this results in a completely different / unwanted channel.

To overcome this issue, I note that stopping a manual scan at 25% of progress, works for a few days until the Auto-Scan kicks-in again.

I do wish this function can be disabled.....PLEASE HELP, as currently its messing up my PLEX server Live TV setup.

Any help is greatly appreciated in finding / offering a solution.

THANKS in anticipation

Robert (NEWBIE)

NedS
Silicondust

Re: How to stop Automatic Tuner Re-Scans

Post by NedS »

You can blacklist/hide the channels, and that will prevent them from being available to the HDHomeRun app: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/myhdhom ... nel_lineup

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Be more specific on the channels you are mentioning as it sounds more like the problem is picking up multiple markets with the same virtual channel number. If that happens the one added is the one with the higher resolution, then by signal quality and hiding such would not allow the one you want to come in.

There is no way to disable automatic scans and channels used by SD's apps only use the scan results (whatever is currently listed). You may be able to get a more directional antenna and/or notch filters to eliminate such channels or even attenuate the signals down if the stronger signal is preferred. Or you can use software that doesnt rely on the scan and allows manual mappings.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Ah, that EU/UK issue where someone can be right on the edge of two markets. Our engineer is evaluating options to better handle this.

robert_i

Post by robert_i »

Firstly, Thank-you ALL for the responses posted - greatly appreciated!
Indeed I believe the issue is with a major UK/EC Channel Clash.
I reside in UK (Northern Ireland) so an 'example' problem clash is with BBC 1, BBC 2 (UK channels) & RTE 1 , RTE 2 (Southern Ireland)
If I allow a full complete scan to complete, I lose the BBC Channels, which is a real PAIN.

Whenever I first start the scan, I note BBC 1 & RTE 1 appear and are allocated the same index number i.e. 1
Likewise, BBC 2 & RTE 2 are also given the same index number i.e. 2
At the end of a 'complete scan' the system decides to erase All BBC channels. So no choice can be made for selection purposes.

This is a real issue HERE for anyone with HDHomerun, so my question to the engineer being, when can we expect a fix for this ?
I would be happy for a beta version of software and would happily try / test it, giving real feedback to the developer.

Surely, the software could be developed to stop these periodic autoscans, if desired by the user.

(I have a HAUPPAUGE PCTV 292e & PINNACLE PCTV 73e Tuner devices that only perform scans during initial setup.)

Sadly, these are no longer supported by PLEX on my NAS - Hence my move to HDHOMERUN.

How about a timely fix SiliconDust? PLEASE

Kind Regards,
Robert

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

For some reason I thought that in northern ireland bbc 1 was on 101 not 1 but I may be thinking of some TV service.

I doubt you would see any fix soon as people have been requesting such for many, many years and this is the first time anyone from SD had ever mentioned even the possibility of it being looked at. And it isn't just an EU thing as it occurs with many between markets in the US as well as choosing very weak stations when they have the higher resolution but are very distant thus are terrible to watch.

robert_i

Post by robert_i »

Hi Signcarver,

Yes we have BBC 1 (SD) as Channel 1
BBC 2 (SD) is Channel 2
BBC 1 (HD) Channel is indeed 101
BBC 2 (HD) Channel is 102

By default, every other TV Tuner Device on the market works here !
So its not a problem for any big branded UHD / HD digital receivers

I thought this was just a 'Localized' problem here in Ireland and hence no push by developers to fix it!

OH... I'm shocked - its an issue in USA as well.... Can't understand why this has been an issue for so long then?

"Where there's a will there's a way ?" - the will may be lacking?

Take Care,

Robert

robert_i

Post by robert_i »

NedS wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:21 pm You can blacklist/hide the channels, and that will prevent them from being available to the HDHomeRun app: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/myhdhom ... nel_lineup
Sorry .... Can't be done.. as the channels are not available for selection / de-selection after full scan completes (BBC channels disappear) :cry:

robert_i

Post by robert_i »

Dear Support,

Any response to my last comment and suggested course of action, or am I just being ignored... does anything actually get fixed here??

Thanks, Robert

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

[removed by moderator]

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Hi Robert,

We understand the problem and we are looking at ways to address. One option is to add market selection similar to DVB-C handling.

Nick

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

nickk wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:22 pm Hi Robert,

We understand the problem and we are looking at ways to address. One option is to add market selection similar to DVB-C handling.

Nick
Nothing I posted was incorrect, or spreading FUD. There is currently no way to disable a tuner's background scans for channels. Also, no developer from SiliconDust has publicly stated that there is any desire to change the way that background scans happen. Further, no developer has stated that the numerous complaints about tuner background scans are an issue, and that their implementation is in any way going to be modified.

In fact, the only concession to this problem has been a beta firmware for Prime devices to retain disabled status of channels between removal and re-adding to a lineup.

Based upon the existing information, my post conveyed no FUD whatsoever. In fact, SD's lack of response over the course of years of this problem only reinforces the issue.

Is there something I am missing that has properly addressed this issue?

robert_i

Post by robert_i »

Thank you your understanding and reply....

Can you please give timescales for a fix, as this issue is driving me crazy and a pain??
I'm not sure how this ongoing issue is going to impact on your sales in this part of the world....

I can also forsee its a problem for potential customers living in the south of England with the encroachment of France EU channels?

FoodLioon

Post by FoodLioon »

In the US, I use NextPVR to get around this problem as it has manual tuning by frequency. I have channels that are the same virtual channel on different frequencies. Some of the channels disappear after the scan so there isn't a way to even tell what is what.

Manual tuning by frequency should be a standard feature of any PVR software.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

robert_i wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:02 pm Thank you your understanding and reply....

Can you please give timescales for a fix, as this issue is driving me crazy and a pain??
I'm not sure how this ongoing issue is going to impact on your sales in this part of the world....

I can also forsee its a problem for potential customers living in the south of England with the encroachment of France EU channels?
We do not have a timeframe at the moment.