network spike at regular intervals leads to garbled video

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
tachtevrenidis

network spike at regular intervals leads to garbled video

Post by tachtevrenidis » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:15 pm

I have been experiencing this issue in the last couple of months. I run the HDHR DVR on a windows 7 laptop which i have had for quite a while, no changes have been made to it in quite a while. It is connected to my router (which sits right next to it) via ethernet cable (laptop connection at 100Mbps). When I am watching a recorded or LIVE program, every so often the video gets garbled for a second or two (then it recovers) but it happens often enough to be annoying (every 5-10 mins). It also happens on all HDHR Viewers (I have Shield, iOS and Xbox one). What I recently noticed is that when the video goes south there is a spike in network activity. This activity is not observed when I am not watching anything, and it is not observed if I am just recording something. When it IS observed, there is NO spike in CPU or MEM usage. Just a second long spike and then back down. See photo...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Anj3gd88CLeNhIJ9rPWhjoj1G-EvJQ

Help?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: network spike at regular intervals leads to garbled video

Post by jasonl » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:00 pm

Do you have any WEMO devices on the network by chance? We have seen a couple reports of them causing network spikes like this.

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:12 pm

yeah I do (the plot thickens!). Shouldn't I be seeing the spikes even when I am not watching though?

K

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:30 pm

I hadn't seen that post, but it doesn't surprise me. I have no idea why it's doing what it's doing. Both of the people who were using it were having other problems with the WeMo devices, and one decided to return it and the other tossed it in the trash and switched to another brand.

tachtevrenidis

Post by tachtevrenidis » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:49 pm

The other weird thing is that the Wemo devices are not new. I have had them for years. Of course there is new firmwares for those all the time. I will try to unplug them and see if it makes a difference. Unfortunately, I can't just 'toss' them :-)

K