"Unable to play channel: Unspecified Error"

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bigfan99

"Unable to play channel: Unspecified Error"

Post by bigfan99 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Live playback of BBC America generates "Unable to play channel: Unspecified Error" (Windows 10 client)

I first noticed this when DVR recorded program from this channel playback in a jerky fashion, displaying pixelization. I have recorded the program twice with the same results. The HDHomeRun Prime Channel Lineup indicates the channel (BBC America) as being non-DRM. Tuning BBC America with WMC7 (same HDHomeRun Prime) on another PC reveals the programming is Copy Once protected (playback and recording on this WMC7 machine is normal)

I understand the HDHomeRun DVR does not currently support recording DRM-protected programs, but why is Live playback not working on this channel? (other DRM-protected channels playback normally). The Android client (on Shield TV) appears to have similar playback issues on BBC America, but it is not displaying the error message.

Also, is it normal for the HDHomeRun Prime channel lineup to not show DRM on channels that use DRM? (in this case BBC America).

Finally, the adjacent ComedyCentral channel also has issues. It too is marked as non-DRM but is having Live playback issues. It generates "MF_Media_Engine_ERR_Decode: HRResult - 0xC00D36F2" I just tried this channel on the Android client (on Shield TV) and it plays normally.

Any thoughts? I have enabled "Send Diagnostic Data" on the Windows 10 client.

--Rob

bigfan99

Re: "Unable to play channel: Unspecified Error"

Post by bigfan99 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 am

OK, I believe I fixed the issue by forcing a new Channel Scan ("Detect Channels") on the HDHomeRun Prime (from http://"ip_address"/lineup.html screen).

Both BBC America and ComedyCentral are now being flagged as DRM. Of course the bad news is I cannot record any programming, but that is an understood limitation. :-) I still have a working WMC-7 machine that can be used for WMC-based recording.

BTW, I am using my HDHomeRun Live/DVR guide data for the WMC-7 EPG via free EPG123 "HDHR2MXF" feature. It seems to be a nice way to deal with the end of the native EPG support for WMC when you already have a HDHomeRun EPG subscription. See https://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vi ... 99&t=12541. Essentially you install the EPG123 software without the Server feature and with the "HDHR2MXF" component, which allows WMC to leverage your existing HDHomeRun EPG subscription data.

--Rob