No Channels. Lost Guide. Unable to live TV or record. Task List has no shows.

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dcalder
Device ID: 131A7D9D HDHR3-CC

No Channels. Lost Guide. Unable to live TV or record. Task List has no shows.

Post by dcalder » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:11 pm

Today the system lost all detected channels. I reran the detect channels and it found none. I have a cable card only system on HDHomeRun Prime (early access, latest firmware) on Win 10 (fully patched).

I can access my old recordings with no problem. I also have a regular cable box where I can see all channels I'm subscribed to and they are all working. So it appears something caused the loss of all channels on the Prime box itself (which I rebooted and tried a scan on again). They are right next to each other using the same splitter on my service, so very little possibility it is a cabling problem.

I suspect that my provider did something to turn off service to my cablecard, though the status and cablecard menu on the Prime looks normal. It does say no tuners in use, but that is expected.

I thought I'd check to see if you might have an idea what might have suddenly happened. I have Client and Prime diagnostics turned on.

Thanks,
Dave

nickk
Silicondust

Re: No Channels. Lost Guide. Unable to live TV or record. Task List has no shows.

Post by nickk » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:37 am

Hi,

The PRIME is reporting that there is intermittant OOB lock. QAM channels are locking fine.

Very odd.

Suggest removing the card and re-inserting - that will force it to return OOB.

Nick

dcalder

Re: No Channels. Lost Guide. Unable to live TV or record. Task List has no shows.

Post by dcalder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:23 pm

nickk wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:37 am
Hi,
The PRIME is reporting that there is intermittant OOB lock. QAM channels are locking fine.
Very odd.
Suggest removing the card and re-inserting - that will force it to return OOB.
Nick
Odd indeed. So I reset the cable card and powered off the box again, restarted, ran the HD Setup (saw list of channels, looked pretty norm), then went to myhdhomerun. Here is what I saw.

No channels detected. I launched "detect channels" and as it was scanning I went to the Tuner Status and saw the three tuner channels displaying, in numerical order, the channels it was scanning. I could refresh the tuner status and watch the channels progress numerically (with the labels CNBC, ESPN, KOFY, etc). All my regular channels were flashing before my eyes.

However The Channel Lineup showed no programs found. Cablecard status look normal also (Auth, Lock, Valid all "success", 3DES encrypt "supported", Signal Quality 100% Channel List "cablecard-oob").

Thanks for the help.

Dave

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm

I would detect channels again and wait until it finishes (i prefer to detect directly from lineup page of the device not "setup"). If none show up it suggests you are not subscribed which may be something on your providers end. Personally, depending on provider, i would go a step further and check the lineup.json with the show all and tuning parameters ( http://<ip of tuner>/lineup.json?show=all&tuning ) to see if some are at 999MHz which suggests the need for a tuning adapter or a bad card lineup (note &tuning only "works" without a tuning adapter, as when you have one it won't actually show frequency). If it is a cisco card double check the CA page for the status.

If you have some non-drm channels I would also try manually tuning a few from something like vlc (open network stream of http://<ip of tuner>:5004/auto/v# where # is the channel you wish to view and see if it works as I have never been a fan of scanning.

dcalder

Post by dcalder » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:17 pm

signcarver wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:49 pm
I would detect channels again and wait until it finishes (i prefer to detect directly from lineup page of the device not "setup"). If none show up it suggests you are not subscribed which may be something on your providers end. Personally, depending on provider, i would go a step further and check the lineup.json with the show all and tuning parameters ( http://<ip of tuner>/lineup.json?show=all&tuning ) to see if some are at 999MHz which suggests the need for a tuning adapter or a bad card lineup (note &tuning only "works" without a tuning adapter, as when you have one it won't actually show frequency). If it is a cisco card double check the CA page for the status.

If you have some non-drm channels I would also try manually tuning a few from something like vlc (open network stream of http://<ip of tuner>:5004/auto/v# where # is the channel you wish to view and see if it works as I have never been a fan of scanning.
I think you nailed it. I went into lineup.json and found that every station looked like this. (no subscription).

0:
GuideNumber: "2"
GuideName: "KTVU"
Modulation: "auto"
Frequency: 177000000
ProgramNumber: 1
Subscribed: 0

I have a ticket open with my service provider. I think I have the info to keep them from finger pointing now. They like to make global changes to my account and then tell me it is my system's fault.

FYI: I have no DRM (that was another adventure) and I did the channel scan directly on the device interface (Myhdhomerun). I just looked at Setup to see what the Win10 server software was up to. Interesting technique on VLC. I've not downloaded that client before and like the idea of direct viewing of the channel that way. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks,
Dave

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:06 pm

Most likely they just need to send a reset signal to apply your subscription packages to the card (but be careful it doesn't invalidate the card). Every now and then I have seen a bad map mess up decryption (i.e. your card got the wrong map for KTVU and instead of 177MHz for the channel it is really at 189Mhz and for some reason behaves like it has the wrong key.... the subscribed field is either "correct" that you are not subscribed (which points to a cable company issue) or can also be populated that way by the scan if it didn't detect the channel correctly (which is an issue with SD) which does point to really needing to also check it out with something that doesn't rely on the scan. You may also wish to check physical channel 7 (which is 177MHz) with config_gui to see its strength and quality.

dcalder

Resolved Re: No Channels. Lost Guide. Unable to live TV or record. Task List has no shows.

Post by dcalder » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:49 pm

The phone support people at my service provider was not able to restore my channels, but they did dispatch today and the tech was out here for 5 minutes where he called into operations and they reset my service. All the channels are now recognized again and I'm back to normal (at least my system is). It appeared I was unsubscribed from all my channels for some reason. They were very cagey about what they did to restore things and what they were doing when they took out my service. I see a few new DRM stations now, so I expect they were in there mucking around with DRM (which is how they took out my service, in a different way, last time).