Warning! Do not update your Mi Box S to Latest Android 9 release

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jasonl

Re: Wanring! Do not update your Mi Box S to Latest Android 9 release

Post by jasonl » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:02 pm

Probably a bad GPU driver update. We have a line of communication, but again, Xiaomi is Chinese. China is pretty much shut down right now. We aren't expecting any progress until people actually start going back to work.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:07 pm

Anyone with a MiBox S that is seeing issues, please get a sample and upload it to a file sharing site (dropbox, google drive, mega, etc) and send the link to support. It might help us isolate the specific issue, which will help us figure out a possible work around the firmware bugs.

Creating a sample: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... g_a_sample

Contacting support: http://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/

Imagine

Post by Imagine » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:45 pm

Came here hoping for some insight into the problem though I am certain the problem is on Xiaomi. I am using an antenna with HDHomeRun Connect.

I got into cord cutting with baby steps. First I got a MiBox 3. Everything worked fine. Then when I wanted a second box the 3 was no longer available so I got the Mi Box S which gave me pixelation and stuttering problems. Spooked by this unsolved problem when it came time to get a third box I got an NVIDIA Shield TV box. Everything worked great. I have swapped all the boxes, TV and wiring combinations and the problem follows the S box but is not occuring on the MiBox 3 or the Shield. It makes no difference whether I am using the Live TV or HDHomerun View to view live OTA TV. I have the same problem on recording playback with HDHomerun View. Only the MiBox S has a problem with the same recorded material. Adding an antenna amplifier made no difference. Adding an ethernet adapter for wired instead of wireless connection made no difference. Viewing the Connect tuner stream with VLC made no difference.

The obvious but costly solution is to discard the MiBox S and buy another Nvidia Shield.

Some posters have said that doing a factory reset helped. Asking those who tried it successfully whether all apps and setting must be reinstalled and set up again or is there a way to backup and restore?

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:54 pm

Unfortunately there is no backup and restore in the Android TV system the way there is on Android phones; you have to do it yourself.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:55 pm

From my own experience, factory reset won't help anything. I did that couple times. Flash the old firmware will help if you can even find one.

Factory reset and manually flash other firmware will wipe everything. You will have to set it up and install all the apps from scratch.

You don't really need to pay the premium of Shield. I'm currently running Jetstream box from Walmart, only $10 more than Mibox S. And also waiting for delivery of a Verizon Stream TV box. That's the same price as Jetstream but with faster processors.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:32 pm

We still can't do anything without a sample from someone who is having this problem. The issue is not inherent to all setups with a MiBox S, so we need more data to figure out what is different for those who are having an issue.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:22 am

@NedS,

This bug seems to affect some OTA users and FIOS users on certain channels. Post#3 in this thread has a link to a previous discussion and I believe samples are posted there already a while back.

For me on FIOS, I can see this bug with many channels. IIRC, Fox, Fox News and Discovery channels are definitely among the affected ones. Since I no longer have the Mibox S, I can't test it anymore. But I have tested a recording and it failed on both HDHR app and VLC. I know you guys can work around it by fallback to alternative decoding, e.g. software decoding instead of hardware decoding. But Fox News channel on FIOS is a DRM channel. Keep that in mind (I remember DRM playback is only possible on hardware decoding).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:37 pm

foxbat121 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:22 am
@NedS,

This bug seems to affect some OTA users and FIOS users on certain channels. Post#3 in this thread has a link to a previous discussion and I believe samples are posted there already a while back.

For me on FIOS, I can see this bug with many channels. IIRC, Fox, Fox News and Discovery channels are definitely among the affected ones. Since I no longer have the Mibox S, I can't test it anymore. But I have tested a recording and it failed on both HDHR app and VLC. I know you guys can work around it by fallback to alternative decoding, e.g. software decoding instead of hardware decoding. But Fox News channel on FIOS is a DRM channel. Keep that in mind (I remember DRM playback is only possible on hardware decoding).
No samples posted in that thread or this thread. We need actual video samples (as described here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... g_a_sample ) for testing.

Even if someone here doesn't have a MiBox S anymore, if they can remember a channel that showed this issue (and the channel is a non-DRM channel, since those won't make a sample), they can still make a sample for us.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Warning! Do not update your Mi Box S to Latest Android 9 release

Post by nickk » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 pm

I picked up a Mi Box S to test this. Upgraded to Android 9.

Tested a range of cable channels - HD, SD, DRM... everything is playing ok.

If you are seeing a problem please let us know - we will help you to do a capture.

Nick

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:02 am

@NedS, check your PM.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks - problem reproduced playing the capture.

It does look like the codec is messing up.

Working with the team to see what can be done...

cordshaving

Post by cordshaving » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:51 am

I finally took captures last night after forgetting this weekend, being busy on Monday night and a power outage on Tuesday night. I took 30 sec clips of a 720p and 1080i channel along with video from my phone to show how it was pixelating. Guessing you don't want/need these now? I also went to a couple of channels listed as AVC and they seem to be working.

fletchb1

Post by fletchb1 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:43 pm

I bought one at Christmas - works fine but I did not upgrade it thanks to warnings from other users.

I bought one for bedroom when they were on sale last week just to see what would happen, knowing I could exchange it.

With HDHomerun only live broadcast was effected. Recorded shows still played fine.

The exchanged unit just came in and I disabled play services notifications to get rid of the upgrade popups.

I read last night that some are getting new units with 9 already installed. Not sure if issue is fixed or not fwiw.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:03 pm

For an affected channel, both live and recorded will be affected. And recorded files will exhibit same problem with other medial playback software like VLC. This was based on my own experience.

Not all channels are affected. Some channels play just fine. I think mostly the problem channels are 720p MPEG2 channels.

jseymour

Post by jseymour » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:23 pm

Geez, again? I was one of those that had one of the original Xiaomi MiBox'. Xiaomi managed to trash those so badly, with Android TV OS 8, that they ended-up replacing MiBox' with MiBox S'. Both mine were replaced when they eventually bricked themselves. So kudos to Xiaomi for stepping up to the plate on that one. But now they've trashed even the MiBox S? Image

Glad I checked in here for another question, thought to hit "New Posts" to see what was up, and saw this thread.

Both our MiBox S' are currently sitting it out. I replaced them with Fire TVs. (Have started replacing those with Apple TVs.) Guess I best block them from the Internet at the router, hook 'em up, and disable Google Play Services again--just in case.