Solved: Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
lswartz
Device ID: 1510061C Scribe Duo

Solved: Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel

Post by lswartz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:00 am

I am getting 'Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel' on my iPad and one Win10 computer. I am using the HdHomerun app and a Scribe Duo. The computer isn't a big issue as the app works just fine on the computer we use to watch TV, a laptop, and most important my wife's desktop. I tried searching the forum for this issue but maybe I just missed it. I really would like to get it working again on my iPad as it is much faster to setup recording or check to see what is recorded to watch.

Thanks.

This Scribe Duo is getting really convenient to time shift OTA TV. I no longer have to leave a computer on all the time to record. I am not missing Win7 and Windows Media Center at all.
Last edited by lswartz on Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel

Post by jasonl » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:53 am

We have identified the issue and are working on an update to correct it.

martink

Post by martink » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:13 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:53 am
We have identified the issue and are working on an update to correct it.
Thanks!! I have the same issue on my Mac, and, for what it's worth, here's what I'm seeing.

Background:
- Performed a rescan (Why? -> Noticed that I could not receive several stations any more that previously came in clean, and blocking on several others. I am not aware of having changed anything on my setup.)
- Got substantially less channels than I had before. (Still many with blocking that were fine before)

What I did:
- Opened HD Homerun App (v 20190621) on my Mac the morning after I did the rescan

What I observed:
- Message: "Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel" in white letters on black background.

- Then, clicking on that screen when trying to select a channel that exists, the message "TypeError: null is not an object (evaluating 'u.parentNode')", and then some text "in t", "in div", "in div", ..., "in n", ... with line breaks in between:

- And then, when clicking again, nothing happens. But right-click "Reload" gives me a back screen with a horizontal white line, like so:

- Apple-TV "Channels" app seems to function normally, as does the iPhone app.

lswartz

Post by lswartz » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Thank you so much, I thought it was something that I did. I had just clicked on the settings taking off easy access to new features when it happened on my iPad.

Easy access to new features in now turned back on.

jphhughes

Post by jphhughes » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:47 am

Is this issue resolved . I am experiencing the same problems as martink. it happened when I installed HDHomeRun software on a new Dell laptop. Main installation installed on ASUS PC working ok.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Not yet. We're most of the way there but there is still a bit more work needed.

lswartz

Post by lswartz » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:17 pm

I got the 20200108f(UI) update today, works fine on three Win10 computers. I still have the 'Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel' on my iPad and the fourth computer.

Thanks.

jphhughes

Post by jphhughes » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:46 am

The 20200108f(UI)update fixed it for me. thanks for your speedy attention to this issue.

deees

Post by deees » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:36 pm

lswartz wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:17 pm
I got the 20200108f(UI) update today, works fine on three Win10 computers. I still have the 'Unable to play channel: Unknown Channel' on my iPad and the fourth computer.

Thanks.
I'm experiencing this issue on all by one of my Windows10 PC's. Can you elaborate on what the 20200108f(UI) update is and how to obtain it?

Thanks,

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:32 pm

Open the app, move your mouse to the top-left corner of the window, and a hamburger stack icon will appear. Click on it, and turn on Early access to new features.

KD4MNI

Post by KD4MNI » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:47 pm

We're experiencing the identical "We have identified the issue and are working on an update to correct it" problem with an early HDHR Scribe Quatro (HDVR-4US-1TB #15203D8D fw: 20190815beta1
After the HD Home Run splash, a message flashes "Using async platform api" and then a couple more lines, then "Unable to play channel: Unknown channel" etc ...

We've downloaded and run the Windows 10 executables, performed channel scans, etc. but the Windows 10 app doesn't work, same problem as with the apps on our Android and iOS devices.

The UI works OK via our Amazon Fire Cube, we used it to update the HDHR software/firmware and confirm the HDHR Scribe Quatro functionality
Version 20191210 (App) / 20200108f (UI) (beta)
- "Easy access to new features" is ON/enabled
- Starting Page set to "Discover" in hopes of avoiding "Unknown Channel" error being triggered by "Live" mode (a desperate guess, didn't help)

- On our Windows 10 PC, Samsung Android, iPad and iPhone, the app UI immediately gives error messages and then locks up the device (one time I saw the app working on the Samsung Android after a while, but then it locked up and I could not replicate the operation)
- Android Beta Test group joined, latest UI app downloaded (Samsung Galaxy Note 9)
- iPad, iPhone have latest available UI app downloaded

- I'm a competent, experienced networking expert, available for consulting/troubleshooting/beta testing ...
- We optimistically pre-purchased these expensive products from Best Buy (conspicuously absent now from the "Where to Buy an HDHomeRun" web page) and then waited for months to set them up partly to give SiliconDust time to get software bugs worked out and their Roku channel app completed ... extremely disappointing, and clearly we're not alone ... and we've also just discovered that there's apparently no audio on any of our three HDTVs using the Roku HD channel app ... because "Roku is cheap" (?!?!) ... I'm doing a slow burn ...

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 pm

Win10: move you mouse to the top-left corner of the window and a hamburger stack icon will appear. Click that and you'll be able to enable Early access.

Android phone: three finger tap the screen 4 times and a similar menu will pop up.

iOS: will require the update to be pushed to all

Roku: set the audio output format to Dolby Digital in the Roku settings

The missing Best Buy link seems to be a web issue. I have asked to have the web team correct that.

lswartz

Post by lswartz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:11 pm

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, we have been skiing the last seven days and just returned home. The problem has been resolved for both the Win10 desktop and my iPad. :D

Please pass on my thanks to the SiliconDust folks that did the work.

Now back to more skiing. :mrgreen: