Focus problems

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ota

Focus problems

Post by ota » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 am

1. For non-DVR customers (note in this case the Recorded page renders "Your HDHomeRun DVR wasn't found) when escape/back is pressed during Live TV, while the Recorded menu item text is white as if it should have focus, it does not. You have to arrow right twice on Win10, once on Xbox, to get focus on Recorded. The point here is more for non-DVR customers in that with this bug it takes 3 arrow right presses (Win10) to get over to Discover when it should just take 1 arrow right press if this focus bug was corrected to be on the Recorded menu item. This is frustrating and leaves a bad impression for new customers checking out the app. Another way to tackle this which would be even better is that for non-DVR customers (I assume the app knows whether there's a DVR subscription) instead of trying to go to Recorded which is pointless, instead always put the focus on the Discover page for non-DVR customers. You've put a lot of work into Discover, right? Why not get customers there as quick and easy as possible?

2. When selecting the Discover menu item, focus should be applied on the first show under Now, it doesn't. The focus should work the same as the Starting Page behavior which is correct in that it puts focus on the first show.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Focus problems

Post by nateb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 am

ota wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:21 am
1. For non-DVR customers (note in this case the Recorded page renders "Your HDHomeRun DVR wasn't found) when escape/back is pressed during Live TV, while the Recorded menu item text is white as if it should have focus, it does not. You have to arrow right twice on Win10, once on Xbox, to get focus on Recorded. The point here is more for non-DVR customers in that with this bug it takes 3 arrow right presses (Win10) to get over to Discover when it should just take 1 arrow right press if this focus bug was corrected to be on the Recorded menu item. This is frustrating and leaves a bad impression for new customers checking out the app. Another way to tackle this which would be even better is that for non-DVR customers (I assume the app knows whether there's a DVR subscription) instead of trying to go to Recorded which is pointless, instead always put the focus on the Discover page for non-DVR customers. You've put a lot of work into Discover, right? Why not get customers there as quick and easy as possible?

2. When selecting the Discover menu item, focus should be applied on the first show under Now, it doesn't. The focus should work the same as the Starting Page behavior which is correct in that it puts focus on the first show.
I just tested 2 on both Android and Win10, and in both cases, the first show under Now was the focus. Could you give a bit more info about your setup?

I've added item 1 to our bug list. Thanks for the report!

ota

Post by ota » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:06 pm

nateb wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 am

I just tested 2 on both Android and Win10, and in both cases, the first show under Now was the focus. Could you give a bit more info about your setup?

I've added item 1 to our bug list. Thanks for the report!
Left out that #2 is after initial Discover access meaning... load app, click Discover (on first access focus is correct on first show), click Recorded, click Discover again... focus is not on first show, remains on Discover menu item.

Win10 Version 20191209 (App) / 20200104 (UI)

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:54 pm

Ahh. yep, that did it. Thanks!