Firestick 4k video freezing - please rollback version

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
rickshtpc

Firestick 4k video freezing - please rollback version

Post by rickshtpc » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:58 am

I echo the suggestion to roll our devices back to a stable version until you figure it out.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Re: Firestick 4k video freezing - please rollback version

Post by nateb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:34 am

Could you give a bit more info about your setup? We just recently updated with several fixes which should help with any Firetv freezing and crashes. In fact, if you could also send your info to support@silicondust.com, we could take a look under the hood.

kellyjsanders86

Post by kellyjsanders86 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:28 pm

Hey, is there an update on this issue? I have an Synology NAS which works very will with my Xbox1X and the Windows 10 HDHR app, when playing live or recordings. However, in my theater on the 4K Firestick recording video will freeze while the audio keeps going. If I either FF or FR the video/audio will come back, in sync (mostly), and continue for a while. This was terrible during the super bowl so finally I changed back to the Xbox1X to play the recording and everything was fine. Seems clear that it is a buffering thing with the 4K Firestick getting too much data from the SD recording engine on the Synology NAS... guessing.

I'm trying to move away from my Xbox1x to the 4K Firestick (easier to haul when travelling) so would be great if it worked.

Thoughts?

lbedard@verizon.net

Post by lbedard@verizon.net » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:09 pm

I've been on this forum for quite awhile and the Fire4k has never worked smoothly...yes the UI is better but there are still problems with ALL my Fire4k's lately when scanning up and down channels the playing video stops and starts and the channel changing is slow to respond.

craigwillie

Post by craigwillie » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:53 pm

I agree. I'd have to believe the FireTv is a popular choice for a viewing platform, and since the release of the new UI, the viewing experience is horrible.

I finally opened a support ticket in December, but still have the same freezing issues.

The frustrating part is a release might make the issue a little better, then BOOM, another forced upgrade makes it worse. Having no control over the version is very frustrating from a user perspective.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:30 pm

The biggest frustration here is that several different issues will often have the same symptoms. A networking issue can cause the same symptoms as a playback issue, typeerrors in the UI can happen for a number of reasons but will all show the same weird screen, and some issues depend on having a certain threshold of channels before the issue is exposed, or only have issues with certain broadcasting/cable video encoding. It might not be comforting to know, but most likely the different users posting in just this thread are likely having different issues.

Some of this is unavoidable/Amazon issues, like the Fire TV 4k stick problem with the video decoder (that was an issue for almost a year). Some of these issues are on us, like the UI having some steps forwards and some steps backwards. We are looking to improve quality control throughout the development process. Moving to a React-based UI has been a rocky road, and I want everyone to understand that we are fully aware of that.

To give an example of some of the things we're doing, we've worked out a way for us to emulate massive numbers of channels for internal testing. Another example, I'm fairly certain that everyone involved in development, support, and testing, now has a Fire TV 4k stick due to how popular that specific model is.

I wish I had something more specific and helpful to say here, but for the time being I want you all to know that we're not trying to ignore any of these issues. We are highly motivated to make everything work smoothly, be it on the Fire TV 4K stick, or any other hardware.