New Roku 4kSticks(2) Scribe Duo - Intermittent no Live TV or DRV playback

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
JDazell

New Roku 4kSticks(2) Scribe Duo - Intermittent no Live TV or DRV playback

Post by JDazell » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:06 pm

Hello, I have a customer, who is running two brand new Roku 4k Sticks Model No. 3810X, both are running the latest v9.2.0 build 4806-50 firmware, The HDHR app is the latest 20191030 version. The HDHomerun Scribe Duo is running the lastest 20190815beta1 Firmware.

On accessing the HD app, the app and channel guide, all comes up as expected. On choosing a channel to play, the listing comes up showing the current stream and the live progress bar. On selecting that, the screen flashes back back to the HD Guide selection screen. No video and no audio playback. The same behavior if I choose to playback a recording.
On opening the Config.gui on Windows 10, when this behavior is being exhibited by the Rokus, the GUI shows that the channel has indeed been selected and is playing on one of the two tuners, but there is nothing displaying on the Roku except the guide screen. Playback on the Windows HD app however works perfectly.

Going to the ROKU settings and resetting the Roku or going into the Roku Secret Screen and reloading the firmware, will cause the Roku to reboot and the HD app will now function properly for a while, until Power off or on deleting a recording.

I have reset the Scribe Duo. I have reset both of the Rokus to factory and rebuilt each. I have uninstalled the HD app and re-installed. All to no avail.

This seems to be an intermittent issue between the this specific model Roku running firmware version 9.2.0 and the HD 20191030version app. The customer originally had only one Roku 4k stick, that was working prefectly last month. Then they bought and installed the second Roku 4k stick, they began having the issues immediately on that new one.

During trouble shooting, I forced a uninstall of the HD app on both older and newer Roku Sticks and reloaded the HD app, which caused them both to begin exhibiting this no channel playback behavior.

Help! At this point the HD app on the Roku 4k Stick is fairly useless for my customer .

As a reference .... I personally have the same Scribe Duo, myself but with a HDHRQuatro and a Roku3 and a Roku TV, neither of them have this issue and both are running the exact same Roku firmware and versions of HD & Scribe beta versions.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: New Roku 4kSticks(2) Scribe Duo - Intermittent no Live TV or DRV playback

Post by jasonl » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:13 pm

Any difference on SD channels? The behavior you're seeing is what usually happens on Roku when the network connection isn't fast enough to keep up with the flow of data.

JDazell

Post by JDazell » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:22 pm

Jason,

There is zero difference between SD or HD, when not working all channels do not work.

There is a brand new PT-Link Deco M5 WI-Fi Mesh hub within a foot of each Roku device and the Scribe is actually attached to one of the mesh hub's available ethernet ports. The Wi-Fi signal from one mesh hub to the other is better than -45Dbm. So neither Wi-Fi signal nor bandwidth can be a problem.

When the HD app decides to work it is fine until the Device is powered off. You can change channels etc. with no issue, the channels all play.

The HD app on Android Mobile devices on the same Wi-Fi works perfectly. The Windows 10 laptop is also on the same Wi-Fi, and the HD app on it works perfectly also. The problems are only with the Roku 4k Sticks.

ericfredrickson

Post by ericfredrickson » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:27 am

I just installed a brand new Roku Ultra. I purchased and installed this to get the Xfinity streaming app that is not available on the Firesticks I have. The firesticks work but I experience the freezing, sound synchronization, and other issues that are in other posts. I only mention this to let you know that the Firesticks work and work well enough for me to use them on 4 tvs. I also have 2 FireTV.
I am a Kickstarter contributor but have never activated the DVR since I am still waiting for DRM, so that is not in play here. (It never entered my mind that Windows 7 would lose support before DRM is available). I basically use use Live TV from the SD app and mostly to watch sports.
The Roku Ultra will bring the app up, allow you to select a channel, look like it is going to do it, and then bounce straight back to the guide without ever displaying a channel or the sound from the channel. The SD app is the only one I have a problem with. Please fix it.

JDazell

Post by JDazell » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Jason or Nate,

Might anyone else at SD team have any clue as to what is happening here?

I am preparing to take a used Roku3 4200X, known working from a similar config, over to my customer, just to eliminate the Roku 4k Stick from the mix and see if the 4200X works in their config. I'll keep this updated with my findings.

Jeff

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:28 pm

JDazell wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Might anyone else at SD team have any clue as to what is happening here?
It's pretty hard to say. We don't have nearly the control over the Roku player that we do over the players on all the other systems we work with, so there's a lot of guesswork involved.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:31 pm

ericfredrickson wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:27 am
I just installed a brand new Roku Ultra. I purchased and installed this to get the Xfinity streaming app that is not available on the Firesticks I have. The firesticks work but I experience the freezing, sound synchronization, and other issues that are in other posts. I only mention this to let you know that the Firesticks work and work well enough for me to use them on 4 tvs. I also have 2 FireTV.
I am a Kickstarter contributor but have never activated the DVR since I am still waiting for DRM, so that is not in play here. (It never entered my mind that Windows 7 would lose support before DRM is available). I basically use use Live TV from the SD app and mostly to watch sports.
The Roku Ultra will bring the app up, allow you to select a channel, look like it is going to do it, and then bounce straight back to the guide without ever displaying a channel or the sound from the channel. The SD app is the only one I have a problem with. Please fix it.
The Roku video player does not handle cable channels properly. This is not something we can do anything about.

JDazell

Post by JDazell » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm

Eric,

What source are you using for the "Live TV"? And what HD device are you using as a tuner?

ericfredrickson

Post by ericfredrickson » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 am

In case I did not make it clear, I am running the SD Homerun app on the Roku. I have 2 HD Primes, so I have 6 tuners. I have had these for several years. I can access them with Fire TV's, Fire Sticks, Android Tablets, Windows 10 PC's, and my original configurations of Windows 7 PC's using WMC.
So what is the purpose of the HD HomeRun app on Roku if it cannot display Live TV from my Primes?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am

There is none, especially for primes, except to those who want to use a $@#^^& player... Most cable systems will "never" work on roku and there are also a few ota stations that behave the same. The problem is entirely on roku to fix their #$% player. Basically any issue with the stream the roku quits on, including perfectly valid streams (such as that of cable systems) that the roku's player simply can't play as well as any error in transmission (whether in signal or in network). SD's app/channel simply provides a link to the stream with no way to modify. Other services may make it possible to take such stream and "transcode" it into something the roku can tolerate better and typically if one has a system capable of doing such on the fly they might as well also take it from the ts and convert to hls which is what the roku is meant to play. If going to HLS, to do it right, typically delays the stream by 30 seconds as it needs to make at least 3 segments of (preferably) 8-10 seconds each.

Sorry for use of the "expletives" above but it has been mentioned several times and I am getting tired of people asking SD to fix when there is nothing for SD to fix when it comes to the roku playing such content and hopefully making such blunt remarks may get it into the the user's head just how bad a roku is for tv content (while it is fine for internet content intended for a roku). I'm also sorry for posting such in this thread (though answering the previous post) as typically a scribe would be used for OTA which shouldn't have as many issues. For op's case, I would eliminate the mesh for testing as typically they cause more issues than solve (again, another thing that is usually fine for internet content but not "live" content).

JDazell

Post by JDazell » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:10 am

Signcarver,

It's me the OP. And just to clarify after reflashing the Roku Firmware two consecutive times, the two Roku 4kSticks have now been working perfectly on SD, HD and recordings. So I do not understand the behavior, but I do squarely lay the blame on the Roku Sticks.

Also in regards to Mesh networks not supporting Live TV streams, I agree that Google and Eero do a horrible job. TP-Link Deco Mesh has however worked out the kinks. I have this mesh installed for four customers and it works flawlessly. Two have Fire Stick 4k and two have Roku.

So ... for the meantime, until the next firmware update .... this stream should be closed.

Thanks to Nate, Andrew and Jason from SD for their counsel.

ericfredrickson

Post by ericfredrickson » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:59 am

I thank everybody for the information. As I originally indicated, I got the Roku to use the Xfinity Stream app which can access things that Comcast does not allow me to access through other means. I had been hoping for that all-in-one perfect solution but it looks like it will never exist. Personally, I can deal with the firestick restarts, lack of a traditional cable guide, and the other aspects of using my HD Primes. WMC was close enough for my wife and daughter but they absolutely refuse to use the SD app, so they have cable boxes and their high costs. I appreciate the effort that SD has put into keeping my Primes useful and hope that they can get the 6 tuner in production before some chip manufacturer discontinues some critical chip. DRM would be nice so I could actually try out the DVR but until I can record anything I want, I will not bother since I have a Comcast DVR that can. Again, I understand that DRM exists to protect the revenue streams of the content providers and that everything is set up to make it near impossible to follow all the rules. Even Microsoft with all of its resources decided it did not want to spend the time and effort to keep their playready software going. So keep trying SD. Your efforts are appreciated.