Scribe Duo Duo Recording The Same Channel

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
lswartz
Device ID: 1510061C Scribe Duo

Scribe Duo Duo Recording The Same Channel

Post by lswartz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:43 pm

I am a bit new, just installed the scribe duo and having a hard time getting the DVR software sorted out.
I recorded NBC Evening News & BBC World News America tonight but both recorded on both channels at the same time giving me two copies of the same show. I have them set to record the current season vs. all episodes. I also get a red dot beside each future episode scheduled to record, but a couple have check marks instead. The red dot is OK but what is that check mark for?

The app is version 20191209 and I have early access to features turned on.
The app looks good on all 4 computers running Win10 and also on an Ipad. It doesn't look so good on my Roku.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

Lowell

History:
I have used a HDHomeRun Dual for years with Win Media Center which is no longer supported :(

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Scribe Duo Duo Recording The Same Channel

Post by signcarver » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:52 pm

For the meaning of different dots/ticks see viewtopic.php?f=132&t=71354&start=15#p351346

(Note as things change you will want to keep up with that thread though that post was marked as early access there has been an update since then which included it for all)

Having a hard time understanding your issue as you mentioned both recordings and both channels at the same time and that is expected if you set both to record. It would also be expected to see multiple recordings of each when it picks up the next recording so not really sure you have two copies of the same show.

One thing about news programs is that typically they are all the "same" episode and wouldn't matter current season or all (though i suggest all) as what controls it recording again is the FirstAiring flag indicating it is new. (Note i did not check those particular news programs)

lswartz

Post by lswartz » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 pm

Thanks.

What I meant is I am getting the same program recorded by both tuners. I just deleted one & watched the remaining news program. I ended up with two recordings of the same show being recorded at the same time.

I just found out what it is called in the UI change log, 'double recordings fix'.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:50 pm

I still don't think that is what it did unless you also have another engine on the network (either not seeing that engine or on old version that didn't support multiple engines.

The double recording issue you referred to is typically when one has the record engine on a shield and the app (client) doesn't realize it is the same engine. This occurs when there are multiple ip addresses detected for the engine, or used for the path to get to the engine (i.e. multiple nics) not that it actually recorded twice. Unfortunately unlike a pc or nas, you can't check the logs on the scribe/servio and if sending of diagnostic data wasn't turned on i'm not sure sd actually gets the data from those devices like a regular recording engine currently sends. One thing you can do is look at the list of recordings either from the device's web page or by retrieving it's recorded_files.json to see if it actually recorded twice.

I did notice the other day that my servio was connecting to my tuners with an apipa address even though both had real private ip addresses so it might be your devices are also seeing that (it can also sometimes be confused if the cljent has both wifi and wired connections to the device)

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:10 am

There is a Windows DVR that is active on the same DVR account, but the version number is up-to-date. Can you fill out a support ticket at https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/ and we'll make sure to get all the logging and such for the developers to look at.

lswartz

Post by lswartz » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Thanks.
I filled out a support ticket but I think it is me :(
I am only getting double recording on the evening news, Magnum PI recorded last night and God is recording now without a problem.
I must be doing something wrong scheduling the recording of BBC America and NBC Evening News. I will try them again tomorrow night and see what happens.

lswartz

Post by lswartz » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Issue is resolved. This is what SD Support sent me and it worked. Thanks much.

Answer:
It looks like you have the HDHomeRun DVR running on 2 different Windows PC in addition to the one on the SCRIBE. One of the Windows PCs is running a version that predates support for multiple recording engines being able to talk to each other and prevent duplicate recordings. On each of your Windows PCs, go into the HDHomeRun Setup program, click on the DVR tab, uncheck the box to use the PC for recording, and click OK. Future recordings will all go to the SCRIBE.

My reply:
You are right. I used two different Win10 computers (one was just a backup) to record for years on my HD HomeRun Dual 10339EDP. I never had a problem with it and would still be using it if Win7 Media Center hadn't gone way January 1st