Windows and Android apps aspect ratio error

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Pueblo

Windows and Android apps aspect ratio error

Post by Pueblo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:26 pm

I have both the Windows and Android apps working fine on Freeview channels here in the UK, but I have a problem with a channel from a TV modulator (Technomate TM-RF HD) using DVB-T H.264. The video originates from a satellite receiver HDMI output and can encode 576i@50 and 1080i/p@50. This video is always correctly 16:9 from the source, and displays as such on all three TV receivers from my home antenna network. However the HDHomerun app always shows it as 4:3 and cannot be corrected with the zoom <> button - it just zooms in both directions. If I run the HDHomerun setup on the Windows 10 PC and set it to run VLC when I click on the new channel, I can make the aspect ratio 16:9 in the VLC setup, and it displays correctly. Is there any way to fix this in the app?
The other problem I have encountered is that the app will not allow recording of that added channel - it has no guide data, and there is no way to set a recording time.
Any help appreciated, thanks G.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Windows and Android apps aspect ratio error

Post by nickk » Mon Dec 30, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi,

Can you please upload a short sample of a recording to a service such as google drive or dropbox and PM me the link - I will take a look.

Nick

Pueblo

Post by Pueblo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:20 am

I'm sorry, but the app won't record video because there's no guide data sent with the channel. All that appears is the video displayed in 4:3, i.e vertically stretched and narrow. When the <> button is clicked all that happens is that the video is zoomed and still vertically stretched. I would have thought that <> should set the ratio to 16:9 - this would be a better function than overall zoom. As I mentioned before, this is what can be done in VLC. All channels are transmitted 16:9 in UK Freeview, so permanent fix to 16:9 in the app would be perfect for me.
Thanks, G

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:17 am

Pueblo

Post by Pueblo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:56 pm

Hi Ned, I'm not happy with signing up with Dropbox and the Google equivalent - they are asking for too much info. Sorry for that. I did record 30s of video, and it plays back at 16:9 in VLC and WMP. The file is quite large for an SD video (40MB), probably because a consumer type of video compression isn't very sophisticated. I think it shows that the app for me would need the <> button to fix the ratio to 16:9 just like VLC and everything else and not just zoom.
Thanks, G

jasonl

Post by jasonl » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:43 pm

It doesn't specifically need to be Dropbox or Google Drive. Use OneDrive or iCloud or Mega or your own web host or whatever else.

mmortal03

Post by mmortal03 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:09 am

I'm seeing the same problem on a FireTV Stick 4k. The content is 4:3 with black columns on each side, but is then *further* compressed horizontally, so it needs to be stretched horizontally to properly display as 4:3, but the zoom function can only do both horizontal and vertical at the same time.

Edit: A workaround, if you play the channel through UPnP in Kodi, there is an option under Video settings to "Stretch 16:9", which actually corrects this horizontally compressed 4:3 content to proper 4:3. Btw, the particular channel I'm seeing this on is called "Charge!".