Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Post by thedoomster »

tecman4 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:21 pm
gab wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:50 pm Hello

I would like to bring back the topic of proper Xbox One remote control support.

When can we expect full support for remote controls such as the PDP Talon on the Xbox One?

(And when can we expect full support for MCE remote controls on Windows 10?)

Thanks!
Me too!
+++

gab

Post by gab »

Hi

It seems that work on the HDHR DVR UI has slowed down over the last few weeks. Can we expect major improvements in the fall?

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Though they may not be the same developers... nickk has mentioned the app is supposed to pick up some atsc 3.0 featres and that would probably take a lot of time. I would not ever expect anything "major" as far as UI goes.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

gab wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:11 am Hi

It seems that work on the HDHR DVR UI has slowed down over the last few weeks. Can we expect major improvements in the fall?

Thanks!
At the moment development is focused on getting things working on a new smart TV platform.

gab

Post by gab »

Hello

After about ten months with the HDHR DVR we are happy to report that we are planning to keep it.

Will we get a notification when our DVR service is about to expire (as we currently get the service via the purchase of the Servio)? Will renewing the service just be a matter of providing a credit card number somewhere?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

gab wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:13 am Hello

After about ten months with the HDHR DVR we are happy to report that we are planning to keep it.

Will we get a notification when our DVR service is about to expire (as we currently get the service via the purchase of the Servio)? Will renewing the service just be a matter of providing a credit card number somewhere?
The plan is to have the HDHomeRun app give some kind of notification, most likely a month in advance to allow time, for all those SCRIBE/SERVIO renewals. Then the user will buy the DVR subscription from the shop website and link it to their hardware, like a normal "stand-alone" DVR account.

Garyr

Post by Garyr »

Still not fixed....
I am running Windows 10 (20H2 19042.630 with the latest HDHomeRun app.
I am also trying to get a harmony remote control to work with and control my HDHomeRun app.
I can only say that if I was in charge of this company and making tuners one of the very first priorities would be creating a great user interface. What I cannot understand is that Windows Media Center can be a great template on what remote control functionality needs to be included in the interface and how the remote control functionality should work. There are a ton of HP media center remotes that have the buttons required to provide a great 10' interface for the app. I cannot even get the basics to work i.e., press 12.1 and enter does not tune to channel 12.1.

In order to "sell" your great tuners as a living room solution one needs to be able to control all of the app functionality from a remote control. every windows 10 computer either has a built in IR receiver, or a usb port that will enable one to purchase an IR receiver and have that capability control the HDHomerun app. once the IR mapping is done you can provide that mapping to logitech and they will create a device that will allow any universal remote control to function.

Once this is done you will definitely see a ROI increase in tuner sales, and with atsc 3.0 you could own the market...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

What exact remote + receiver do you have?

gab

Post by gab »

Hi

I assume that the question about the exact remote is for @Garyr but I also feel that you dropped the ball on remote support.

I have a Dell RC1974009 and an HP TSGH-IR03 that worked great with Windows Media Center and that are not that useful with HDHR DVR on Windows.

That said, I would be more interested by getting proper remote support for the Xbox One, whatever remote you decide one should use, as once you implement proper support, I could always program my Logitech Harmony to match it.

Thanks.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

The problem is Windows Media Center specific remotes have certain keys hardcoded to always launch functions within Windows Media Center. Like the info, Guide, Live TV, Recorded TV, color/teletext and Green Button can't be repurposed for other applications without using 3rd party drivers or registry hacks.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

gab wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 pm That said, I would be more interested by getting proper remote support for the Xbox One, whatever remote you decide one should use, as once you implement proper support, I could always program my Logitech Harmony to match it.
The XBox One has a platform bug where the number keys on a remote don't work. We reported this problem to Microsoft years ago.
Simple test - bring up a search box anywhere in the Xbox Menuing system and try the number keys.

Some keys on the remote are caught by the OS and can't be used by applications.

As far as I am aware all usable buttons on a XBox One remote work with the HDHomeRun app.

Nick

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

gab wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:33 pm I have a Dell RC1974009 and an HP TSGH-IR03 that worked great with Windows Media Center and that are not that useful with HDHR DVR on Windows.
I just ordered a similar remote with IR receiver on ebay to test.

Nick

gab

Post by gab »

nickk wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:29 pm We reported this problem to Microsoft years ago.
[...]
As far as I am aware all usable buttons on a XBox One remote work with the HDHomeRun app.
I am surprised that Microsoft does not care about the issue. I would assume that the remote vendors such as the one behind the PDP Talon got their specs from Microsoft isn't it?

mike808
Device ID: (K) Extend 10522C9A ; Quatro 10740D6C

Post by mike808 »

gab wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pmI am surprised that Microsoft does not care about the issue. I would assume that the remote vendors such as the one behind the PDP Talon got their specs from Microsoft isn't it?
Microsoft dropped any future for WMC back when Windows 8 launched. The WinXP and Win7 OSes have long been end-of-lifed. There is no return on any investment by Microsoft to "fix" anything related to WMC. And with WMC gone, there's nothing to drive XBox extender support any more either with everything going to streaming with an app, so Microsoft won't be fixing any WMC issues that extend to the XBox. If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if all of it was completely gone from the new Series S and Series X XBoxes.

It's easier to move on to a programmable remote than to try to keep supporting a dead-end WMC remote or hoping Microsoft will fix it.

Garyr

Post by Garyr »

I am using a standard windows 10 computer and I have a Logitech harmony programmable remote. The remote is capable of assigning any of the keys to any ir codes. When I use the remote for watching windows media center programs I use the Logitech device “Microsoft Media Center PC” which maps the remote keys to the same ir codes that are generated by a generic media center remote. The code mapping is shown here: https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index ... e-control/

I did find that I could also re-map certain keyboard commands and assign those keystrokes to an IR map allowing me to create specific actions from my remote by using a program called AutoHotkey : https://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm Using the autohotkey program allowed me to create a "series of keystrokes" and map them to an unused function key, and then map the remote control button to that function key. For instance the key combo to close a window is "hold down the ALT key and pressing the F4 key", I remapped that keyboard combo to F4 and then the remote button to close window to F4 code.
Other remap programs are: https://beebom.com/how-remap-keyboard-windows-10/ and How to learn codes from any remote: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ir ... &FORM=VIRE

Finally here are the standard “built in” Windows virtual key codes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -key-codes
hope this helps... Gary