Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Post by foxbat121 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:01 pm

Why not have both enabled and use both at the same time? That's how I setup mine to do. With HDHR DVR, you have more flexibility of viewing them (Xbox1, Win10 PCs, smartphones and tablets and Android TV boxes or TVs). But WMC currently still offers DRM recording and more remote friendly. I have two Primes so there are more than enough tuners to go around.

gab

Post by gab » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:28 pm

@foxbat121 I have only one Prime so I need to minimize the possibility of tuner conflict and pick one solution.

If the native guide for WMC were not being discontinued I would just stay with WMC. Now... it looks like the native guide is back with data until the middle of January?!? So does anybody know when Microsoft will discontinue the guide for sure? Was the lack of data over the last three days a fluke or a warning shot?

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:14 pm

Microsoft already said publically that it is ending the guide data this month. But no specific date is given.

gab

Post by gab » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:36 pm

They wrote "Starting in January 2020, Microsoft is retiring its Electronic Program Guide (EPG) service for all versions of Windows Media Center."

Why did they begin the sentence with the word "Starting"? That suggests the retirement might be gradual isn't it? (They could simply have written "In January 2020...")

My initial hope when I saw that message is that Windows 7 users would lose the guide as Windows 7 reaches EOL but that Windows 8/8.1 might be able to get it for longer. If I recall correctly Microsoft was charging $99 for the Media Center Pack for Windows 8.1. That is not an insignificant amount of money and I think that justifies Windows 8/8.1 users asking Microsoft for a free native guide for another two or three years.

In any event, when it looked like the guide data would stop on January 1st I was happy I got prepared by getting a Servio and an Xbox One. I wish to move forward and keep using HDHR DVR but I need my wife to be on board with that decision...

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:11 pm

IIRC, WMC add-on for Win8.x is only about $15 extra or so. Definitely not $99. That's the price of WIn8 Pro which is required version to use WMC add-on.

From what I read, EOL of Win 8.1 is only a year behind that of Win7.

ppilot

Post by ppilot » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:05 pm

foxbat121 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:11 pm
IIRC, WMC add-on for Win8.x is only about $15 extra or so. Definitely not $99. That's the price of WIn8 Pro which is required version to use WMC add-on.

From what I read, EOL of Win 8.1 is only a year behind that of Win7.

This is incorrect. Extended support for Windows 7 ends this month whereas windows 8.1 ends three years from now

gab

Post by gab » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:06 pm

@foxbat121 you are right that I used the wrong name for the pack. I should have written "Windows 8.1 Pro Pack" (which included Windows Media Center) rather than Media Center Pack. Still, $99 on top of Windows 8.1 which is good enough for most home users (compared to 8.1 Pro).

Looking back at old invoices, upgrading Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro with Media Center was possible at one point for only $39.99 (which I did on a couple of machines). Much cheaper, but with insight I consider that even that was a poor investment.

And @ppilot is correct to write that EOL for Windows 8.1 is three years from now (January 10, 2023).

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:21 pm

Win 8 Pro doesn't come with WMC either. It requires a feature update with WMC license key. It is possible that if you upgrade from win7 with WMC, you get it for free.

gab

Post by gab » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:59 pm

@foxbat121 You are right regarding Windows 8 Pro not coming with WMC but as you guessed during a limited period of time in late 2012 it was possible to upgrade from the standard version of Windows 7 (which included WMC) to Windows 8 Pro for $39.99 and get a "free" Windows 8 Media Center Pack product key in the process. A year or so later, it was then possible to upgrade at not cost from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and keep WMC.

At the time the $39.99 seemed to be to be a good deal (since Windows upgrades prior to that were very costly), but since upgrades from both Windows 7 and Windows 8 to Windows 10 ended up being free (at least at one point) the end result for me was basically a waste of $39.99 per machine. We don't use Pro features at home and I upgraded everything but one computer (the one dedicated to WMC) to Windows 10 fairly early as nobody liked the user interface of Windows 8/8.1.

All this to say that I think that Microsoft morally owes people who paid to get WMC on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 another two or three years of free guide...

gab

Post by gab » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:30 pm

@NedS @nickk To go back to the topic of what needs to be addressed with the HDHR DVR, according to my wife, on the Xbox One the user interface frequently freezes after deleting a program from the Recorded view by selecting the trash can on the right of the program. When this happens, the only way to recover is to invoke the Xbox system menu and restart the HDHomeRun app.

Admittedly much less important, there is a cosmetic issue that bothers me a lot: the navigation bar displayed for a recorded show (e.g. when pressing pause) is not centered properly: the right side of the navigation bar is closer to the right edge of the screen than the left side of the navigation bar is to the left of the screen. That does not look professional.
Last edited by gab on Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:44 am

I haven't been able to replicate the crash behavior when deleting from the Xbox One app, but I'll try using it a lot tomorrow (Sunday, technically today, why am I still awake? haha) and see if using it more often helps me trigger the right conditions.

gab

Post by gab » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:22 pm

@NedS the freeze/crash happened today again. Maybe a useful piece of information is that my wife deleted a recorded program A at about the same time when another program B was starting to be recorded. The program A that she wanted to delete did get deleted, but then the interface, instead of updating and displaying the remaining list of recorded programs, which most likely should have at that point included the program B that just started to be recorded and was not yet listed when she deleted A, displayed an empty list and froze.

Do you have a way to collect a mini-dump or equivalent?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Can you turn on Early access to new features in the gear menu and repeat the same thing and see if it still freezes like that?

gab

Post by gab » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:11 pm

@jasonl I just turned on early access. We will see if it happens again within the next few days (as so far it has happened pretty much every other day). Thanks.

gab

Post by gab » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:12 pm

@jasonl Sadly the issue of the interface freezing upon deleting a recorded program occurred again.