Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gab

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Post by gab »

paulsaz wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:03 pm Ok, I'm going to beat the dead horse. A grid guide is what is keeping me from switching over to the DVR from Silicon Dust. I did just buy a Plex Pass for local OTA TV, just wish they would have DCM channels.
A grid guide would be great. I assume that everybody would rather have a grid guide instead of the SliceView guide, but I doubt that it will happen before September 2022, and I accept that.

My household is lucky enough that the only DRM-protected channel we subscribe to is HBO, so we don't care too much about the ability to record DRM-protected channels as we can use the HBOmax app.

We have a fairly reliable Internet connection, so we can live with the fact that HDHR DVR requires an always-on connection, even if it is painful not to be able to watch recorded programs when the connection goes down.

But we need a more ergonomic 10-foot User Interface. So I am really looking forward to that.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

gab

Post by gab »

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Reminder that we don't allow discussion of patents on the forum.

gab

Post by gab »

nickk wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:30 am Reminder that we don't allow discussion of patents on the forum.
Fair enough. Let's get back to the topics of WMC keyboard bindings and support for MCE remotes on Windows 10 using a Desktop Extension. Any ETA on the former and/or the later? Thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

If you enable "early access to new features" in the app the number buttons on the remote should now work on XBox One.

Nick

gab

Post by gab »

nickk wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:37 pm If you enable "early access to new features" in the app the number buttons on the remote should now work on XBox One.

Nick
Thanks! Somehow, while you had mentioned in the past that number buttons were problematic on XBox One, we do not recall ever having any issue with them. I just double-checked with App 20201029 and UI 20201123b (with early access to new features *disabled*) on our Xbox One S and the number buttons work fine using both our trusted Logitech Harmony 650 as well as a PDP Talon I purchased a week ago solely for testing purpose. I am therefore a bit confused but I appreciate you trying to improve things in that area.

gab

Post by gab »

Looking back at my observations back from January on the Xbox One (viewtopic.php?p=355420#p355420), I notice that the Channel Up/Down behavior has apparently improved, but I still do not like it.

The current behavior on Xbox One is: when one presses Channel Up/Down on a remote (at least with Harmony 650 or PDP Talon), the SliceView pops up briefly, as well as what seems to be the information about the channel that will be tuned to. Then the screen goes completely black for around one second. Then a new channel start showing. It is messy visually, and one has no clue about which channel is now playing.

What I would like: when one presses Channel Up/Down on a remote (Harmony 650 or PDP Talon), the SliceView should probably not pop up, but the information about the channel that will be tuned to should display and should remain until a short while after the new channel start showing. Like that it would be clear which channel is now playing.

Ideally one should be able to press Channel Up/Down repeatedly and not lose track about which channel will eventually play, even if there is a small delay before the channel starts playing.

In a way, the problem is somewhat similar to what is observed on Windows 10: while the Channel Up/Down buttons are handled, they are currently handled in a way that makes them practically unusable.

Thanks again!

gab

Post by gab »

Happy New Year!

So, what improvement in HDHR DVR can we look forward to in 2021?

Can we at least expect proper keyboard support?

Thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

gab wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:09 pm Can we at least expect proper keyboard support?
Keyboards work. Not tracking any issues with keyboard handling.

gab

Post by gab »

nickk wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:22 pm Keyboards work. Not tracking any issues with keyboard handling.
I meant can we at least get the shortcuts listed at viewtopic.php?p=366697#p366697 ?

It seems to me that all of them could pretty much be implemented and tested within a couple of days if you wanted to make it happen...