Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
gab

Re: Having a hard time convincing family (wife) that HDHR DVR can replace WMC

Post by gab »

@NedS @nickk @jasonl It is possible that the crashes reported earlier happened when attempting to delete a recorded program that was already being in the process of being deleted because the programs that are being deleted do not disappear from the list of recorded programs right away. For sure it is possible to crash the UI by attempting to play a recorded program quickly after deleting it (while it still shows in the list of programs). This greatly annoys my wife so it needs to be fixed urgently (latest crash observed on Xbox One with UI 20200117).

By the way, are you still on track to deliver proper remote control support before the end of the month? Thanks.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

gab wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:25 pm @NedS @nickk @jasonl It is possible that the crashes reported earlier happened when attempting to delete a recorded program that was already being in the process of being deleted because the programs that are being deleted do not disappear from the list of recorded programs right away. For sure it is possible to crash the UI by attempting to play a recorded program quickly after deleting it (while it still shows in the list of programs). This greatly annoys my wife so it needs to be fixed urgently (latest crash observed on Xbox One with UI 20200117).

By the way, are you still on track to deliver proper remote control support before the end of the month? Thanks.
Devs are looking into this theory, thanks.

I'm not sure what the ETA is for better remote control support, but it is a high priority.

gab

Post by gab »

After one month of trying HDHR DVR, we have a verdict: we are keeping the Servio and replacing WMC with HDHR DVR.

We are however only doing so due to the fact that Microsoft is discontinuing the native EPG guide as we think that HDHR DVR is currently a step down from WMC which we think is better looking, more ergonomic, more stable, can record DRM-protected programs and does not require an always-on Internet connection.

We expect that HDHR DVR will gradually improve so that it catches up with WMC and we hope that our purchase of the Servio will serve as a modest contribution towards achieving that goal.

wtg
Device ID: PRIME 131A6C2B

Post by wtg »

gab wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:58 pm We are however only doing so due to the fact that Microsoft is discontinuing the native EPG guide as we think that HDHR DVR is currently a step down from WMC
FYI, the EPG123 app now has a feature to load WMC guide data using the downloaded Silicon Dust DVR guide data as a source. I haven't tried it personally - I use EPG123 to load data from Schedules Direct instead - but that might allow you to continue using WMC until the SD DVR service and app improves.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

I have both WMC and SD DVR running on the same PC using SD guide data right now. I'd continue to use WMC as a back up because I just found out my Super Bowl recording on FIOS 4K channel using SD's DVR didn't record at all. I have to manually start a recording once I found out and that's already an hour and half later into the game. So, definitely can't 100% rely on SD DVR yet.

Good thing is that my WMC did record the show but that's on regular Fox channel, not 4K channel which WMC won't support/record.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner »

gab wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:58 pmWe are however only doing so due to the fact that Microsoft is discontinuing the native EPG guide
FWIW, the EPG 123 + Schedules Direct (or + HDHR) guide data is actually better than the native Microsoft data. If anything, I think WMC improved this month!

And if you're concerned about Windows 7 being end-of-life, I think that concern is overblown, especially for HTPCs. (If you are paranoid, just restrict this PC to WMC usage and lock it down on your router, so it has little or no outside internet access.)

Seriously, if WMC works for you, and your household is used to it / likes it, just keep using it! Outside of guide data, it was largely abandoned by Microsoft years ago, yet it's still been a great product for many of us. May as well continue using it now, until something actually changes (like your cable subscription, or ATSC 3.0, etc.).

Bobstr
Device ID: 131CCFEA, 1314A87C

Post by Bobstr »

gab wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:54 am @Bobstr

Thank you for your encouragement! Our Logitech Harmony is also a 650 (great remote!), and I will look into remapping further buttons as you did... but I think that it would make more sense for the HDHR DVR app developers to properly handle WMC/MCE commands in the first place so that users of non-programmable remotes such as the Talon remote often mentioned in this forum can also benefit.
The HDHR folks have said they are working on the media center commands to get them working again in the HD app, but with all the other work they are doing, it seems that it's not at the top of the list of actions yet.

The app is a good replacement for Windows Media Center's TV viewing and recording/watching recordings, once you get past the difference in basic operation for the Guide and such. I'm so used to it that, well, it is what we get with this app.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Bobstr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 am The HDHR folks have said they are working on the media center commands to get them working again in the HD app, but with all the other work they are doing, it seems that it's not at the top of the list of actions yet.
We hit a complication - some of the buttons on the WMC remote do not result in any form of key event or notification in UWP apps.

GetMatt
Device ID: 1310683C, 13196816, 10733FC0

Post by GetMatt »

nickk wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:04 pm
Bobstr wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:49 am The HDHR folks have said they are working on the media center commands to get them working again in the HD app, but with all the other work they are doing, it seems that it's not at the top of the list of actions yet.
We hit a complication - some of the buttons on the WMC remote do not result in any form of key event or notification in UWP apps.
What about the buttons on the Xbox One media remotes like the PDP Talon?

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb »

GetMatt wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 pm
That's actually the main one we're testing against. In particular, cc and record buttons don't show up at all.

GetMatt

Post by GetMatt »

:cry:
nateb wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:16 am
That's actually the main one we're testing against. In particular, cc and record buttons don't show up at all.

GetMatt

Post by GetMatt »

nateb wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:16 am
Have you guys found any remotes that do trigger those key events in UWP apps?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

There are "real" MCE remotes, then there are ones that just emulate keyboard presses. I think we can accommodate both. At the very least, being able to support a device like the Flirc receiver would be a major benefit, where any IR signal can be bound to a key-press.

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb »

GetMatt wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:21 pm

Have you guys found any remotes that do trigger those key events in UWP apps?
We've done a bit more testing. The Talon will actually trigger events if we update the registry. Evidently with the standard driver install, only certain keys are activated. The trouble we have now is that activating those keys results in funny things. Like the cc button launches Explorer. So we're getting somewhere. The next big update is a performance improvement and probably won't include this fix, but we'll keep working on it.

gab

Post by gab »

@nateb Is there a list somewhere of which remotes and buttons should now work with the Xbox One or Windows 10? Thanks.