Not smooth playback on Sony XBR-75X850G

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ERamseth

Not smooth playback on Sony XBR-75X850G

Post by ERamseth » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:59 pm

When watching TV channels through the HDHomerun App on my Sony TV, playback is not smooth. This is noticeable without even looking for it when watching sports. It is even worse when looking for it. Most easily noticeable is any programming with a smooth-scrolling ticker at the bottom. It's jumpy/jittery. Same programming plays extremely more smoothly when watching on Nvidia Shield TV on the same TV...

Shield TV--(eth)--Sony TV (playback) = Jittery/not smooth motion

Shield TV (playback)--(hdmi)--Sony TV = smooth(er)

Content is HD MPEG2 (not marked as AVC or DRM in the Prime channel menu)

My set up is:

- HDHR Prime (x2)
- HDHR DVR running on Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2017)
- Gigabit wired ethernet everywhere

I have not tried watching the same programming from a USB disk directly connected to the TV.

I have not tried playing directly from the Prime (presumably the content would stream directly from Prime to Sony TV if I turn off the Shield TV right?).

I have not tried watching the same programming with channels on the Sony TV.

I do not know how to check if this is a refresh rate issue.

Should I report this as a bug officially with SiliconDust? If so, how do I do that?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Not smooth playback on Sony XBR-75X850G

Post by NedS » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:16 pm

I think we have a Sony Android TV in the main office that can be tested on, if it has been unpacked from the move. I will poke some people about this and see what we can find out. We might have you try some things out for us to get more data.

Platup

Post by Platup » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:52 am

I'm seeing similar things on my 65x950G. The audio now gets out of sync after just a few minutes and will eventually throw an android error message up saying "End of Audio Stream". Rewinding for a split second will get things synced back up and seems to be ok, but I have to rewind/play every time I turn the channel.
Also the audio constantly drops out for a few seconds when (I'm assuming) the commercials change the audio format.
It appears it started with the latest Sony firmware update for the TVs. I also have a Sony 930D that is having similar issues, but it's not nearly as bad as the newer 950G.
FYI, the "G" series just got bumped to Android 9.

neil459

Post by neil459 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:51 pm

That sucks, we were looking into getting a Sony 950G. Thought for that price it would have enough processing power.

ERamseth

Post by ERamseth » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:47 am

Any update on this?

I remembered having this issue when I tried to watch the superbowl in 4k on my sony. ShieldTV 2019 doesnt support HLG, but the feed was with HLG so I tried direct on the Sony TV (which DOES support HLG, and h.265) with the HDHR app and it was stuttery.

Next i'm going to try playing one of the files back in VLC directly on the Sony if I can.