HDHomeRun NAS DVR creates 'poisoned' MPG files

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cqcq42

HDHomeRun NAS DVR creates 'poisoned' MPG files

Post by cqcq42 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:23 am

Two of the files that my NAS (MyCloud) based DVR recorded over the past few weeks can only be described as poisoned.
In one case, after about 39 minutes and in the other almost immediately,
the file stops playing
the Recorded screen shows "Loading..." but seems to be hung
Live, Discover and Tasks are all fine (so my Prime is operating)
coming back to Recorded, the screen now says "Your HDHomerun DVR is ready to record" but does not show all my recorded files
Network access to my NAS has been killed on this machine
Neither File Explorer, nor browser access to my NAS is possible although ping shows it is still there and responding.

I can access the NAS from another computer so this phenomena is local to this machine. However, if I attempt any access to the poisoned files from another machine, then that machine is poisoned as well.

Eventually, network access is restored (all recorded shows show up) and I can view all shows but these two. I have not determined exactly what is needed to recover network access.

I cannot send you these files because they are indeed poisoned: I cannot copy them from my NAS using File Explorer, cmd copy, or even going through Western Digital Servers to access my NAS remotely and attempt a download, although downloading all other videos is possible.

My Device ID is 131ABFB6
Recent logs can be found here: http://gregdunger.com/documents/logs.zip
The poisoned mpgs are "Saturday Night Live" and "Supergirl".

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun NAS DVR creates 'poisoned' MPG files

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:30 pm

Are you familiar with using SSH? If so, can you log in to the NAS and see if you're able to rename the file to have a different extension, preferably something completely bogus, and then see if you can copy it? I'm thinking there might be something running on the NAS that's trying to analyze the file, whether that's to generate a thumbnail or get info like its runtime, and there's something about the file that it doesn't like so it just sits there and chokes on it until it reaches the end of the file, then everything goes back to normal. Since that sort of thing is usually based on the file extension, if it has an extension that doesn't make it think it's a video file, it won't try to do that.

cqcq42

Post by cqcq42 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:50 pm

Good idea.
I enabled SSH on the NAS and logged in to change the name of one file to "Supergirl.xyz".
I then tried - from File Explorer - to copy this file to my Windows desktop, but network access was killed, again.
I'm not familiar enough with Linux to use SSH to get the file off the NAS using something else.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:57 pm

On Windows, assuming you're using PuTTY and installed it using the full installer, the pscp command line program will let you transfer using an SSH login.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\PuTTY\pscp.exe" sshd@nas.ip.address:/shares/HDHomeRun/Supergirl/Supergirl.xyz .
Adjust username, IP, and path/filename as needed, and it is case-sensitive.

cqcq42

Post by cqcq42 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:14 pm

pscp failed to copy the file(s), but I turned on ftp and was able to get partial copies. Unfortunately, the copies ended at the same length where the problems occurred in viewing the files. So I only got 704KB of Supergirl, which was less than a second, and a shade over 39 minutes of SNL which is exactly what I was seeing in the HDHomeRun viewer.
I doubt these would be of any use since t
The copies seem to have amputated the poisoned parts of the files.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:11 pm

Have you tried rebooting the NAS?