HDHR App on Amazon FireTV fails to find hdhr on lan?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
camsam

HDHR App on Amazon FireTV fails to find hdhr on lan?

Post by camsam » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:32 am

I am having an issue somewhat similar to @pgnd's post last Saturday, but with differences.

My HDHR App has been working on my 1st gen Fire TV for years. I would occasionally get a black screen saying "Audio Only" and less frequently the "Unable to find HDHomeRun tuner on local network" message. In the past, a force stop of the app and/or a reboot of the Fire TV would fix things. Once, the Windows app could not find the HDHR Extend either, necessitating a power off/on cycle.

Last Saturday (coincidentally?) the HDHR App again could not find the Extend. Multiple force stops and reboots had no effect. I checked HDHR on Windows and it worked fine. I also tried Live TV on my Plex App on the Fire TV and it also worked. I tried clearing the HDHR App cache, clearing data, and finally uninstalling and reinstalling the app. No luck.

My Windows box and the HDHR are on the wired LAN, while the Fire TV connects via WiFi. No issues with streaming Amazon or Netflix content. I'd consider just using Plex but my wife prefers the HDHR App interface.

Any ideas what might be going on?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: HDHR App on Amazon FireTV fails to find hdhr on lan?

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:11 pm

Do other wifi apps work?

Is there anything running on the FireTV that might interfere with network connections, such as a VPN?

camsam

Post by camsam » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:12 pm

The Plex App on the same box streams music, photos, videos, and live TV over WiFi. Netflix and Amazon Prime still work. No VPN on the Fire TV.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:30 pm

Sorry, brain not connected to fingers there. Does the HDHomeRun app running on other wifi devices work?

camsam

Post by camsam » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:59 am

Hadn't tried that but yes, it works fine on my Android phone in the same location via wiFi.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Are both connected to the same network name? Not something different like 2.4GHz vs. 5GHz, or a guest network?

camsam

Post by camsam » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:42 pm

That was it, the Fire TV somehow got switched over to the guest network. I kick myself for not thinking of this, but I guess I was thrown off by Plex being able to see the HDHR.

Thanks for being patient and walking me through it Jason.

Cheers