Odd video effect during Patriots game

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Odd video effect during Patriots game

Post by leerandall » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Let me start by saying, I don't think this is an issue with the HDHR app. I'm more curious than anything.

Anyway, I turned on the Kansas City/New England game on CBS on my Shield at the beginning of the game and all looked well and good. I went off to take care of something shortly after leaving the game playing on the TV, then came back to watch the rest of the game toward the end of the 3rd quarter. However, when there was motion on the field, the video was kinda herky-jerky and looked like the moving objects were leaving trailers. I don't think I've ever seen video do that unintentionally before. The rest of the game looked like that. This effect didn't appear to apply to the animated graphics on the screen either. I rebooted my Shield, but that didn't fix it. I tuned to other channels and the effect wasn't there. Now, I'm watching the Seattle/LA game on NBC and the video looks great with no odd effect.

Is there a logical explanation anyone can give for what I was seeing? Did anybody else see it?

ETA: I forgot to also mention that I did not see the same effect with the HDHR app on my 2 Win 10 machines at the same time I was seeing it on my Shield with the HDHR app. And I was not recording the game either. I had the game playing live on all 3 devices. The Shield is running ethernet and the 2 Win 10 machines are wi-fi.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Odd video effect during Patriots game

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:10 pm

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:43 pm

I didn't see any horizontal lines as shown in the pic at your link, but I saw ghosting similar to your pic. As I described, it looked like moving objects were leaving 3 or 4 copies of themselves. I've seen interlacing problems before, but nothing that looked quite like this.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:52 pm

That's just weird. If you see it again, the next thing to check would be to see if it also happens using the Network Tuner input in Live Channels in order to take the HDHomeRun app completely out of the picture. If both do it, then it's presumably something in the video decoder in the Shield. If Live Channels works but the HDHomeRun app doesn't, we would need a sample recording to poke at.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:12 pm

It is weird. I've been using my Shield/HDHR app combo for a long time and don't recall ever seeing anything like this. But you know what's even weirder? I tried recording a short video with the camera on my phone so I could send it to you, but the effect cannot be seen in the video. It looks normal on playback. Is that some sort of clue? Also, this appears to only be happening on CBS.

Just before I read your response, I saw it happen again on CBS during Family Feud, which just ended at 8:00pm in the eastern time zone. The effect was there during the program, but video was normal during commercials. I'll try your suggestion using Live Channels next time I see it. Thanks.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm

I don't normally use Live Channels, but to try it out a while back, I configured it to use input source "HDHomeRun Input". How do I get rid of that one now and only use the Network TV Tuner (BETA) source?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:43 pm

Both should show up together once they're both set up. As you flip through the channel guide, channels from Network Tuner will have the blue icon with the white TV in it, while channels from the HDHomeRun source have the green icon with the HD in it.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:44 pm

All of the channels I looked at in Live Channels have the blue icon with the TV in it now, including CBS (ch. 214), so I should be set up to check it next time I see the issue happening in the HDHR app.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:07 pm

It appears that this odd effect shows up almost exclusively on live or live-to-tape programs on CBS (never on commercials, though). It happened again watching Colbert just now. I see the effect using both HDHR and Live Channels with network tuner source. I do NOT see the effect on any machine other than my Shield. Besides the Shield, I have also checked and do not see the effect using Kodi on my Win 7 machine, or using the HDHR app on either of my two Win 10 machines, even while I'm watching it happen on my Shield. All of my computers' screens and the Shield are within sight of each other. I'll have to remember to check my JetStream, another Android TV box, in the other room, but I'll have to do that another time.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:37 pm

Has anyone at SD looked into this yet? It is still an issue. I continue to see it on CBS live or live-to-tape shows. I'm seeing it right now with the Army/Navy game on CBS on my Shield.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Below is a link to a recording (1 min 51 secs) I made on my Shield while I was watching the stream live from the Shield. The video I was watching was exhibiting this effect at the time. However, when I play this recording on either my Shield or my Win7 machine using Media Player, it doesn't show the effect as it was showing on the Shield while I was watching it live. I'd appreciate someone from SD looking at the recording to see if there is anything out of the ordinary about the stream that could explain the effect I'm seeing while watching CBS live or live-to-tape broadcasts on my Shield. Thanks in advance.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmC2D9qWVVZHiFhQwuJYrQbexq2p

Note: As I said in an earlier post, the effect is never seen during commercials, and the second half of the video at the link is comprised of commercials. Only the game-portion in the first half of the video is relevant.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:12 pm

Bump

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:56 pm

There's nothing particularly odd about that, it's just plain old video corruption due to lost data, probably from a poor signal or network packet loss. Please enable the sending of diagnostic data on your HDHomeRun devices, run channel scans on them, then watch live TV on a problem channel for at least 10 minutes, and reply back.