HDHR App on Amazon FireStick4K fails to find hdhr on lan?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
pgnd

HDHR App on Amazon FireStick4K fails to find hdhr on lan?

Post by pgnd » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:30 pm

I've just installed an Amazon FireStick4K.

I've installed SiliconDusts's HDHR for Amazon FireTV on it.

From my Linux desktop, @ 10.0.1.7, I can see/use my HDHR,

Code: Select all

hdhomerun_config discover
		hdhomerun device 10xxxxBA found at 10.0.1.233

HRHomeRun DUAL
	Model: hdhomerun_atsc
	HW Model: HDHR-US
	Device ID: 10xxxxBA
	Device IPaddr: 10.0.1.233
	Device MAC: 00:18:dd:xx:xx:xx
	FW Version:  20170930
	Features:
	channelmap: us-bcast us-cable us-hrc us-irc kr-bcast kr-cable
	modulation: 8vsb qam256 qam64
	auto-modulation: auto auto6t auto6c qam
Connecting to the FireStick over adb

adb connect firestick.example.loc:5555
		connected to firestick.example.loc:5555
I can ping the HDHR,

adb shell
	mantis:/ $ ping 10.0.1.233
		PING 10.0.1.233 (10.0.1.233) 56(84) bytes of data.
		64 bytes from 10.0.1.233: icmp_seq=1 ttl=63 time=3.89 ms
		64 bytes from 10.0.1.233: icmp_seq=2 ttl=63 time=91.5 ms
but if I LAUNCH the app, it fails to find/connect; instead I get ERROR screen:

No devices found
	Unable to find HDHomeRun tuner on local network
	Please check that your HDHomeRun tuner and this device are both connected to your local network
	[Retry][Exit]
I.e., the HDHR is up on the lan, and available (and usable from other non-android LAN devices, e.g. Linux desktop, Kodi, etc) and the stick can PING it.

Just the HDHR *app* can't find it.

Known issue? Existing fix/workaround?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR App on Amazon FireStick4K fails to find hdhr on lan?

Post by signcarver » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:43 pm

Legacy devices must be on latest firmware (I think the one you have is latest for legacy devices) and have a channel scan run from a windows pc. Modern devices maintain the lineup on the device itself. (by the way the 1st 3 numbers are most important if you decide to censor your DeviceID as it tells what the device is, but in your case you provided enough extra info).

pgnd

Post by pgnd » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:26 pm

> Legacy devices must be on latest firmware (I think the one you have is latest for legacy devices)

It is.

@ https://www.silicondust.com/support/linux/ http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/

sez

hdhomerun_atsc_firmware_20170930.bin

is latest.

My HDHR, a 'HDHR-US (hdhomerun_atsc)', has

FW Version: 20170930

> and have a channel scan run from a windows pc. Modern devices maintain the lineup on the device itself. (by the way the 1st 3 numbers are most important if you decide to censor your DeviceID as it tells what the device is, but in your case you provided enough extra info).

Sry, missing your point.

How's that address the inability of the Fire app to even FIND the HDHR?

"Unable to find HDHomeRun tuner on local network"

?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:47 pm

You had mentioned using kodi with linux but didn't mention what addon you were using with kodi... you also made no reference to windows which would be required to set up a legacy device for "partial" compatibility with the modern method of tuning.

Typically legacy devices just sit there waiting to be accessed by a legacy app that provides it's own list of channels/frequencies for the device to tune. Modern apps retrieve the lineup.json referred to by the discover.json from the discovered device.. until you run a scan from a windows computer, a legacy device doesn't have a lineup and probably doesn't even have a DeviceAuth and may not even have a discover.json ... if you go to http://10.0.1.233/discover.json is anything returned (using ip previously given... if there is a DeviceAuth, please censor that as well as it in the url for the lineup to be retrieved from sd). What the scan does is allow sd to host your lineup and the device then points to a url on sd's servers Also note for it to work, the device (hdhr) also must be able to connect to the internet.

If you have run such scan, and everything is in place on the device, including internet access, detection is done through broadcast discovery so make sure things are on the same subnet with nothing in between to hinder such broadcast (some routers/ap's don't properly handle broadcast requests from wifi accept for some well known port, so you may wish to post the path between stick and hdhr). Also many vpn configurations on android/fire will also hinder discovery.

pgnd

Post by pgnd » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:07 pm

> You had mentioned using kodi with linux

THIS issue has nothing to do with kodi on linux.

It's the HDHR FireTV native app, installed on the FireTV,

https://my.hdhomerun.com/instructions/firetv-app/
https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-USA- ... 01MSBCRDY/

> you also made no reference to windows which would be required to set up a legacy device for "partial" compatibility with the modern method of tuning.

I don't have/use Windows; and never will.

Are you saying that my 'legacy' device is now a doorsstop UNLESS I do the 'partial compatibility' setup? Do you have a useful reference, or documentation for that requirement/procedure?

> if you go to http://10.0.1.233/discover.json is anything returned (using ip previously given... if there is a DeviceAuth, please censor that as well as it in the url for the lineup to be retrieved from sd). Also note for it to work, the device (hdhr) also must be able to connect to the internet.

Yes, the JSON response is

FriendlyName	"HDHomeRun DUAL"
	ModelNumber	"HDHR-US"
	Legacy	1
	FirmwareName	"hdhomerun_atsc"
	FirmwareVersion	"20170930"
	DeviceID	"10xxxxBA"
	DeviceAuth	"6..."
	TunerCount	2
	BaseURL	"http://10.0.1.233:80"
	LineupURL	"http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/api/lineup?DeviceAuth=6..."
> If you have run such scan, and everything is in place on the device, including internet access, detection is done through broadcast discovery so make sure things are on the same subnet

They are. Both wired/ethernet, connected to the same switch/hub. A third box, a Linux box, on the same lan segment, connected to the same hub, execs `hdhomerun_config --discovery` @ shell, FINDing the box, with no issues. Kodi/Linux, running on that same box, has no problems with accessing the HDHR's streams via its HDHR/PVR plugin.

> with nothing in between to hinder such broadcast (some routers/ap's don't properly handle broadcast requests from wifi accept for some well known port, so you may wish to post the path between stick and hdhr).

> Also many vpn configurations on android/fire will also hinder discovery.

There's currently no VPN involved.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:58 pm

correct, it will not work until that scan is done... since you have a LineupURL, perhaps someone has done such already for that device and hopefully correct for what you receive... does it return anything?

The reason I asked about kodi on linux is because you said it worked and to find out if the LineupURL was working or if you were using something that actually allowed use of a legacy device without such. Since the HDHomeRun App requires a channel listing from the LineupURL to actually tune a channel it would make sense to not "discover" a device that does not have a lineup as one won't be able to use it.

see https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/using_t ... y_hardware

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi,

Correcting some information... the HDHomeRun should discover out of the box, no requirement to run a channel scan for it to be discovered.

For legacy DUAL devices a channel scan via HDHomeRun Setup (Windows) is required for channels to be detected.
All modern HDHomeRun devices handle the channel scan themselves.

Can you please post the Device ID of your HDHomeRun - this will allow us to check channel/guide results.

Nick

pgnd

Post by pgnd » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:35 pm

> Correcting some information... the HDHomeRun should discover out of the box, no requirement to run a channel scan for it to be discovered.

It _does_ discover. By 'everything' *other* than the free HDHR App on FireStick.

That's the point here -- getting this to work on the FireStick, so as to be able to watch TV ...

> Can you please post the Device ID of your HDHomeRun - this will allow us to check channel/guide results.

101534BA

> For legacy DUAL devices a channel scan via HDHomeRun Setup (Windows) is required for channels to be detected. All modern HDHomeRun devices handle the channel scan themselves.

Ok, I'm (more) confused.

'must use Windows' keeps being repeated.

Has Linux support been dropped?

This

hdhomerun_config 101534BA scan 0
	hdhomerun_config 101534BA scan 1
from any Linux shell, or the equivalent using the GTK hdhomerun_config_gui, certainly scans & detects channels.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 pm

pgnd wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:35 pm
> For legacy DUAL devices a channel scan via HDHomeRun Setup (Windows) is required for channels to be detected. All modern HDHomeRun devices handle the channel scan themselves.

Ok, I'm (more) confused.

'must use Windows' keeps being repeated.

Has Linux support been dropped?
All Linux features the DUAL originally had are present and are supported. That isn't the issue.

The HDHomeRun app for FireTV is our new generation of app which requires the channel lineup features of the newer HDHomeRun products. Back in the 2000's each app had to do its own channel scan... now the HDHomeRun handles the channel scan and the app requests the channel list from the HDHomeRun.

The gen1/2 isn't capable of doing this so to support gen1/2 we have HDHomeRun Setup (Windows) which does a channel scan and pushes the result to a free service we provide which then makes the channel list available to apps. A security token is used so the channel list is only available to you. For this to work the channel scan must be run in HDHomeRun Setup (Windows).

To use FireTV you will need to either run a channel scan on a Windows machine or upgrade to a newer model of HDHomeRun. If you don't have access to a Windows machine drop an email to support@silicondust.com they can arrange a discounted upgrade to a gen4 or gen5.

Nick

pgnd

Post by pgnd » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 pm

The upgrade sounds the best idea.

Thx!