I finally took the plunge and made the switch from WMC to HRHD

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Jimmersd

I finally took the plunge and made the switch from WMC to HRHD

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:40 am

I have been running WMC and HDHR DVR concurrently for the last couple years. The WMC has been running continuously since 2013 on a dedicated W7 computer while using Ceton Echo extender boxes. Sure, it had problems but it worked well enough. But the system was getting old and excessively clunky. One Echo Box had become unreliable so I replaced it with an XBox 360 that I picked up cheap at a garage sale and the other recently started to complain about needing an update at boot, among other things but otherwise still functioned.

I have been experimenting with the HDHR DVR since it was released into Alpha/Beta with the Kickstarter Campaign. I eventually settled on a Synology DS415+ to run the DVR engine and to using an XBOX One S for my day to day viewing. Also acquired on the cheap, I bought it damaged and made the repairs. But I didn't want to break the budget on another couple XBoxes to fill out the complement. Even used, XB1S's were getting $150 +. More than I wanted to invest into used equipment. So I left the rest of my TVs on WMC and used the XBox One in my office. I had also picked up several Talon Media remotes in the expectation of eventually doing the upgrade. These work okay except that they are battery hogs. https://www.amazon.com/Talon-Media-Remo ... 01GOK34SO/

I decided recently that HDHR was ready for prime time so was waiting for a black Friday deal to come up. Nothing really developed but as luck would have it Microsoft had cut the price on Xbox One S 1TB All-Digital Edition. $149 Amazon prime and other places. Personally, I didn't care whether it has a built it BluRay since my intent was not to use it as a gaming console.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XQ ... UTF8&psc=1

I am completely satisfied with the XB1S. It actually takes the place of 2 boxes and they are 4K UHD compatible. I don't run technology on the leading edge of the curve anymore so this was plenty. The Ceton Echos are retired and the Rokus are short timers. The only reason they are still connected is because Roku offers the Synology Video Station app while the XBox only has the clunky Media Player app.

I recommend this course. The Synology NAS is stable and fast, the XBox One has almost everything you need and is also very stable. And the Talon remote fills the whole system out. Just supply a reasonably fast ethernet and a couple HDHR Tuners and you are ready to go.

Way to go SiliconDust keep up the good work!

Cheers
Last edited by Jimmersd on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thedoomster
Device ID: 131CC070

Re: I finally took the plunge and made the switch from WMC to HDHR

Post by thedoomster » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 pm

I too have been a long-time WMC user, 10+ years. I would love to switch to HDHR DVR but my situation is complicated by Cablecard and DRM protection on most of my channels. So I have one remaining PC with Win 7 running WMC. I am hoping that SD gets this in place before Microsoft cuts the cord on Win 7 support. I hated Win 8.

Jimmersd

Re: I finally took the plunge and made the switch from WMC to HDHR

Post by Jimmersd » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:12 pm

I'm also using a CC and TA (Brighthouse/Spectrum CFL) for my service but am in the enviable position of only having a couple channels that are DRM'd so the change doesn't hit as hard.. If I want a premium channel I'll just sub to it alacarte. But I feel your pain. I'm in no hurry to upgrade anything to WINX but I can tolerate WIN8.1 if need be. But that's only on my personal computers.

smassey22180

Re: I finally took the plunge and made the switch from WMC to HRHD

Post by smassey22180 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:23 pm

After 10 years I finally got rid of WMC. I am now running Roku at all the TVs. One of the old WMC boxes is running W10 with the HDHR DVR. Cable TV has been canceled and we use an antenna for locals with a HDHR Connect. Premium apps on the Roku fill in missing gaps.

I had kept WMC because I did not want to give up 30 second skip fast forwarding through commercials. Then I realized I was not really watching network TV other than live sports.