Can't get recording to work

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
randym

Can't get recording to work

Post by randym » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:17 pm

I purchased the DVR service today and am having problems getting recording to work. I have Windows 10 and I have designated my Windows 10 computer as the place to store the DVR recordings. I understand from the User Guide to HHGR DVR 2.0 I found in this forum that I should be able to do a one-off recording by clicking on a button in the action bar at the bottom of the live TV screen. However no such button is present in my current setup. The second screen shot in the user guide shows 7 icons on the right side of the action bar, the 5th being a round circle colored red indicating the program is being recorded and the 6th is apparently for search. My setup has only 6 icons—the recording icon is not there.

This suggests that I somehow failed to add recording capability to my setup. But I do see series to record in the “Discover” tab. But I cannot get any series shown to actually record.

After a ran the recording setup, everything seemed to go as it should.

Please advise.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Can't get recording to work

Post by NedS » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Try this:

Please right click on the Start menu icon and select Windows PowerShell (Admin) or Command Prompt (Admin). Run the following command:

Code: Select all

CheckNetIsolation LoopbackExempt -a -n="ef712ba7.hdhomerundvr_23nna27hyxhag"
You should get a response of “OK.” Open the app and check to see if you can then access the DVR.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm

the 5th being a round circle colored red indicating the program is being recorded
just to be clear, that is not an indication it is being recorded, but a button that helps one to record ( the behavior of such has changed a few times, sometimes/currently doing a one off, sometimes taking one to the page to set up a recording, in which case one needs to select the showing to do the oneoff recording or record the series).

What NedS was mentioning is a "requirement" if the engine is on the same machine as the client as by default, such apps aren't allowed access to services on the same pc, the installer tries to do it itself but sometimes it doesn't stick.

If for some reason that doesn't work, double check that the record path is correct and available and that the engine shows up at my.hdhomerun.com

randym

Post by randym » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm

In reply to NedS, what he suggested did seem to work. It is late so I've tried nothing beyond opening the ap and finding that the "record button" is now present. Tomorrow I will do further tests.

May I ask why it was necessary that I run this command from the command prompt. Did I do something wrong, or were the instructions not correct?

I will mention that I made one change since my last post. I have been using Jriver media center to record and in the setup program I had specified JRiver Media Center as the compatibility mode. After the last post but before I did as instructed by NedS, I changed the compatibility model to the silicon dust DVR. However that change alone did not fix my problem.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:22 pm

randym wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:06 pm
May I ask why it was necessary that I run this command from the command prompt. Did I do something wrong, or were the instructions not correct?.
I had answered thar in my post...
signcarver wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:52 pm
What NedS was mentioning is a "requirement" if the engine is on the same machine as the client as by default, such apps aren't allowed access to services on the same pc, the installer tries to do it itself but sometimes it doesn't stick.
Basically the client is a windows universal app available through the windows store... such apps are by default prohibited from accessing services such as the dvr when "looped back" to the same pc (in theory supposedly helps from malware issues by being sandboxed like that) what you did was the loopback fix that gives the app permission to communicate with other services hosted on the same machine. In theory the installer is supposed to apply the fix itself but with many installs it doesn't. In the old days one actually used a 3rd party tool to provide the fix rather than just the command line command listed now.

See https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:tro ... t_find_dvr