DVR/NAS install problem

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Parallaxian

DVR/NAS install problem

Post by Parallaxian » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:33 pm

Hello,

I wanted to check the forum before I post but I'm at an interesting spot where when I do the HDHomerun setup on my windows 10 desktop and get it to register the SSH (enter in the pop-up and stuff) but I'm getting an error from the HDHomeRun app that says "'Browser not supported > To use Linksys Smart Wi-Fi Tools we recommend that you use the latest version of Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari (for Macs). "
I have a Linksys AC4000 router and an HDHomeRun Prime 3 tuner. The problem is that it works just fine but if I were to reboot it looses all the programming so I have to put it in again. I went through uninstalling both IE and Edge from my PC so that only Google Chrome remains but it still gives the error despite both browsers being removed. If I copy the URL it's using and paste it into chrome it does work just fine so thoughts are that HDHomerun has it's own browser? I did all the troubleshooting I could do but at this point I'm open to whatever help anyone can give. I just want to have the web GUI load so that I can put it in and have it remember my password so I don't have to do this every time.

Thanks all in advance!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: DVR/NAS install problem

Post by signcarver » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:33 pm

If it is what i am thinking you are talking about there is No need to even see that page as all you care about is what is on the left and i never even understood why to include it for a nas install but most won't get such to run on a router anyway.

Officially they only support autostart on the wd myclouds and most routers basically generate their own boot sequence from firmware that won't survive a reboot.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:41 pm

The Windows NAS installer tool has it's own mini browser that tries to load the NAS's setup interface, so that if the user needs to enable something they have a convenient place to do so. You can ignore it and just use a different browser, and the installer tool should complete if things are already configured correctly.

That being said, are you trying to install the DVR software on your router? Is this to use the HDHomeRun DVR service, or is this just trying to troubleshoot the channel list issue?

Parallaxian

Post by Parallaxian » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 am

Hello - thank you both for the quick replies. So the problem is though that the login gets forgotten if I have to reboot the PC I have my HDHomeRunDVR config app. I am referencing the documentation here: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:nas ... windows_pc re'garding the GUI setup.

I'm fine not worrying about it but the end-goal is that I want it to save the login information regardless of a reboot so I don't have to do the 'root'/'sohopassword' each time. I thought I saw that if the GUI decides to load correctly then there was a save password feature.

Again thank you for the help so I can get this piece resolved.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am

It wouldn't save as that is just the webpage of the device, not actually the ssh login that is going on on the left side so even if the browser did save such that would only get you to that next web page which isn't being used at all... the only thing it might be good for is to help to make sure you chose the correct device and/or an easier way to enable ssh if you disabled it (some may only enable such if needed).

I am curious though that perhaps in the future the login optionally can save a key for a user such as HDHomeRun@192.168.0.3 (@ ip of local machine used to configure) to login without a password but many nas's/devices used as nas's may not support such especially after a reboot making such moot as well as it being a security risk (which is why i added optionally above as they should never do so without permission, and thinking a little more about it, it's probably not a good idea for most to do, but then again, if you trust the HDHomeRun nas installer to connect as root in the first place you are probably not that concerned with such, though probably should be)

Parallaxian

Post by Parallaxian » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:20 pm

So @Signcarver are you saying that if you have a similar setup that every time you reboot the NAS where you keep your DVR items you need to do it again? I'm curious which is why I'm trying to gain some insight on the forum but I would think for most people that run the 'optimal' setup (IE very minor things would have to changed/modified), this wouldn't be a factor. Hopefully someone can give some insight - again it works - but will lose the information when my Windows PC turns off or reboots (that points it to my NAS device). I actually thought there would be a feature in the GUI of the Hdhomerun itself to setup the DVR instead of having to rely on a Windows PC but hopefully I can get some direction on this.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Typical NAS install from windows often requires a root login which is a huge security risk in many circles.

Personally i nearly never use the windows installer and just ssh into the box and install manually, if it needs installing, but usually it just needs restarting. Some ssh clients do allow saved login credentials but keep in mind that is a risk that many wouldn't want to allow with ssh as often with ssh unless you take additional steps the ssh session "owns" the box and possibly have it do many unscrupulous things... I certainly wouldn't want such saved credentials to a router/firewall that is your first layer of protection from the internet.

Often your ssh login remembers your command history so it is just a matter of an up arrow to get to the command you need... for me on devices that don't autostart the engine it is the following

Code: Select all

cd /shares/HDHomeRun
./hdhomerun_record start
So once i ssh in it is up (arrow) twice then enter, up twice then enter, though occasionally I also look at the status after it starts so then it is up 3 times/enter 3 times rather than twice with 2 ups

Also in the command history is the wget to download the file, as well as the one to rename it and make it executable.

There was a script (for windows machines) around here that tested that the engine was up and if not sent the commands to the "nas" to start it but most likely hasn't been referred to thus commented on in last 90 days so probably isn't on the forum any longer.