Live Stream Micro Stuttering

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Canizorro

Live Stream Micro Stuttering

Post by Canizorro » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:50 am

Good Afternoon,

I am experiencing what I describe as micro stuttering. Audio doesn't drop out, but the picture stutters and pixelates constantly on various channels including 3.1 and 45.1. If I use Google's Live Channels app and use the HD HomeRun app as the source though, then the problem goes away. This is how it was setup since the beginning so I didn't mind it happening in the HD Run app. However, I wanted to enable the DVR functionality of the Live Channels app and so had to use the Network Tuner instead of using the HR HomeRun app as the source and now it is stuttering just like in the Home Run app.

I have enabled the send diagnostic information on the Connect Quatro as well as in the HD HomeRun apps on both of my Mi Box S devices. Device ID is 1072351A. One is tuned to channel 3.1 and one is tuned to channel 45.1. Any help in getting this resolved is appreciated.

Thank You

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Live Stream Micro Stuttering

Post by NedS » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:49 pm

Can I get you to do a channel scan as well?
  1. Go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. Click Channel Lineup
  4. Click Detect Channels

Canizorro

Post by Canizorro » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:24 am

Morning Ned. Okay, I just performed a detect channels. Issue is still there.

garethw
Silicondust

Post by garethw » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Hello
You say you have been using google live channels and have no trouble, it's the same under the hood code, so could you switch back to that so we can see what difference there is?
It may be that live channels is forcing different parameters.
Also: do you have any non-mpeg channels e.g. avc ? Do you get the issue with those or with non-full hd channels?
Thanks
Gareth

Canizorro

Post by Canizorro » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:29 pm

Hi Gareth,

Okay I tried to undo the DVR functionality, but it wouldn't let me remove Network Tuner as a source. So I did a factory reset and started from scratch. However, the problem was there even without the DVR functionality. So I must have been imagining things when I thought it was doing it on the HD HomeRun app and not Live channels.

A little history, we recently changed out our streaming boxes from the Channel Master Stream + to Xiaomi Mi Box S. I pulled out the old Stream + and hooked it back up. Using that device, I do not get the problem in my original post. So I guess it is something specific to this Mi Box S. They are running different versions of Android TV. The Stream + is running version 7 and the Mi Box is running 9. They are both running the same version of Live Channels and HD HomeRun app, however the Mi Box has different options in Live Channels. For instance on the Stream + it only has the option to use the built TV Tuner as a tuner source while the Mi Box has the Network Tuner option. Also within the options menu within the app, the MiBox has the timeshift option available.

I'm not sure how to determine which channels are non-mpeg. These main channels, 3.1(ABC), 45.1 (MYTV), 21.1 (CW), 33.1 (FOX), are showing this issue and show as "FULL HD" on the info screen in Live Channels. All of their sub channels like 3.2, 21.2, etc. work fine which some show as "HD" and some as "FULL HD" in the info screen. These main channels, 6.1 (NBC), 12.1 (CBS), 14.1 (BUZZR), 24.1 (PBS), are working fine and show as "FULL HD" in the info screen. Their sub-channels are working fine too.

Let me know what else I can do to help in diagnosing the problem.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:58 pm

In your area, 3.1, 21.1, 33.1, and 45.1 are 720p, while 6.1, 12.1, and 24.1 are 1080i, so there's your difference. Odd that the 1080i ones work and 720p don't, since most devices tend to have more trouble with 1080i.

If you drop the resolution on the MiBox to 720p, does that make a difference?

Canizorro

Post by Canizorro » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Hi Jason,

I tried 720p and all other options: 1080p-24hz, 1080i-60hz, 480p-60hz with no luck. Same problem.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Do you see a difference in performance on those channels if you reboot the MiBox and then open the HDHomeRun app? I've noticed mine has a tendency to start lagging after it's been running for a while.

Canizorro

Post by Canizorro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:23 pm

Hi Jason,

No, it immediately starts with the micro stuttering right after a power reset to the same degree if I came back to it later on. I power cycled when I was changing the resolutions yesterday after every resolution change and went immediately into the HD Homerun app and Live Channels.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:19 pm

Which firmware version are you running on the MiBox?

Canizorro

Post by Canizorro » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi Jason,

In the about menu it says:
Version

Android Security Patch Level
October 5th, 2019

Kernel Version

Build
PI.2216 release-keys

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:45 pm

I believe that's still a beta release. You may want to go back to the stable Oreo firmware for now. We have found that chasing bugs on beta firmware versions is not a good use of time given that it's likely going to undergo more changes before they release a stable version.

Canizorro

Post by Canizorro » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 am

Hi Jason,

Ahh. Looks like my partner did that updating to a beta firmware. That's probably it. Tried going back to the stable release but keeps failing on install. There is another update coming soon on this version so maybe that will fix it. I will just have to wait until this version goes stable. Thank you and everyone for the help.