How does the Android HDHomeRun application handle refresh rates?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Timbo2

How does the Android HDHomeRun application handle refresh rates?

Post by Timbo2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:33 am

I've finally moved to the HDHomeRun software on an Nvidia Shield TV after MSFT has finally put the lat nail in WMC.

I've noticed that the whole refresh rate issue on Android TV is a bit of mess. I'm not singling out SiliconDust here. Lots of people have been complaining about the Netflix application on the platform. There is supposed to be an Nvidia API that helps adjust the Shield to the content refresh rate. I was curious if SiliconDust could tell us how it deals with the refresh rate of the content that it plays?

This issue became quite noticeable on some films that I recorded on BBC America. I'm assuming BBC America tried to poorly time compress the film. I had refresh rate on the content of 29Hz but +- something like 0.300Hz. It would randomly vary and it made for some annoying artifacts as there was no actual way to set my display to the rate of the film.

in meantime I'll give a big shout out to the app called "Refresh Rate" on the Google Play store. It's not easy to work with, but is worth the 2 hour or so learning curve. It will tell you the frame rate of your content and gives you the option to manually or automatically adjust it. And it has the ability to do so on a per application basis.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: How does the Android HDHomeRun application handle refresh rates?

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:43 pm

The HDHomeRun app will switch to the display setting that closest matches the content. In the US, all broadcast and cable TV is 59.94Hz. Most of the content on BBC America is never going to be perfect because most of their shows are shot at 25 or 50Hz and have to be converted to 59.94 for the US, and most of the time those conversions are done very poorly.

Timbo2

Re: How does the Android HDHomeRun application handle refresh rates?

Post by Timbo2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:14 pm

Thanks for the info!

There seems to be a lot of film content on things like Showtime, remarkably no DRM on FIOS, that is in 23.976Hz.