Nvidia Shield as DVR Engine

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
breezytm

Nvidia Shield as DVR Engine

Post by breezytm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:49 pm

For those with this setup, I have a great concern and perhaps you can shed some light. When the Shield wakes up to record, does it turn on your TV. My setup has a TV and Receiver involved. I don't want them turning on during scheduled recordings if they are off. When power off and go standby mode when I put the Shield to sleep currently.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: Nvidia Shield as DVR Engine

Post by leerandall » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:06 pm

I'm running a Shield Pro 2017 with an external 4TB WD disk as my DVR. The Shield never sleeps nor do I turn it off, except when it needs to be rebooted for some reason. It's on 24/7. I just turn the TV off when I'm not watching it.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:38 pm

breezytm wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:49 pm
For those with this setup, I have a great concern and perhaps you can shed some light. When the Shield wakes up to record, does it turn on your TV. My setup has a TV and Receiver involved. I don't want them turning on during scheduled recordings if they are off. When power off and go standby mode when I put the Shield to sleep currently.
That sounds like a known Shield bug, unrelated to HDHomeRun, where it will wake from sleep and turn on the TV. It freaked me out once when the TV turned itself on all by itself when I was home alone. Turning off CEC on the Shield is a workaround.

breezytm

Post by breezytm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:56 pm

Yeah that bug costs me a lot of money in electricity. I don’t know if you are aware but it is resolved. The devices no longer wakes itself up.

I was just wondering if there is another mode that the shield had where it would wake up for record a scheduled program but do not send any CEC commands. Currently I am heavily invested into this one remote to rule them all. The family loves it. Nothing to really figure out. The TV remote controls the TV, the shield and the reciever. Sometimes when my son does his magic and makes the TV remote disappear, we can use the receivers remote or the shield remote to control all 3. Can’t beat that.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:45 pm

The Shield doesn't really sleep like PCs laptops do, it just puts itself into a mode where it doesn't send a signal to the HDMI port. This is how Plex and HDHomeRun server stuff can keep working even when the Shield is "asleep".

You can totally shut down the Shield, but I don't believe there is anyway to schedule startup commands. At least not within the Shield itself.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:21 am

breezytm wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:56 pm
I was just wondering if there is another mode that the shield had where it would wake up for record a scheduled program but do not send any CEC commands.
In the Shield settings menu under Device Preferences> Display & Sound> Power Control make sure the setting to "Turn on TV When Shield wakes" is turned off.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Ken.F wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:21 am
breezytm wrote:
I was just wondering if there is another mode that the shield had where it would wake up for record a scheduled program but do not send any CEC commands.
In the Shield settings menu under Device Preferences> Display & Sound> Power Control make sure the setting to "Turn on TV When Shield wakes" is turned off.
Just to be clear, the DVR doesn't "wake" the Shield for recordings. The Shield makes recordings while in "sleep" mode.

breezytm

Post by breezytm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:33 pm

I amson confused at this point. lol
I select Sleep on my Shield to put it to sleep. When it goes to sleep it turns both my TV and receiver off. When I wake it up, it turns them both on. With that being said, when I put my Shield to sleep and it needs to record a program, what is the expectation? Will it wake itself up or does it use some sort of hibernation where it can do it's work without sending any HDMI signal to the port?

breezytm

Post by breezytm » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:34 pm

NedS wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 pm
Ken.F wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:21 am
breezytm wrote:
Just to be clear, the DVR doesn't "wake" the Shield for recordings. The Shield makes recordings while in "sleep" mode.
Wait I think you just answered it. Thanks