DVR Software and HDHR App on Linux

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
hdhr-dan

DVR Software and HDHR App on Linux

Post by hdhr-dan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:48 pm

I'm currently running the HDHR record software (20190621) on Windows 7. With support ending in January for Windows 7, am going to either upgrade to Windows 10 or install a Linux distro on my PC.

Just wanted to know if there is a Linux version of the recording setup software that I'm currently running on Windows 7 so that I can continue to use the HDHR DVR service. And is there a Linux version of the HDHR client app and if so, is it identical to the Windows version?

Thanks for your help!

gtb
Expert

Re: DVR Software and HDHR App on Linux

Post by gtb » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:48 pm

hdhr-dan wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 4:48 pm
With support ending in January for Windows 7
Apparently you still have the option to upgrade to Windows 10 (for free, more or less), as documented here: https://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to- ... heres-how/
Just wanted to know if there is a Linux version of the recording setup software that I'm currently running on Windows 7 so that I can continue to use the HDHR DVR service.
SD offers a recording engine for Linux, which you can install. Reference: viewtopic.php?f=126&t=69170 There are also some unofficial packages that make installation a bit easier for some people who are not tinkerers documented on that page.
And is there a Linux version of the HDHR client app and if so, is it identical to the Windows version?
There is no official HDHR client for Linux, although some may find the KODI client and plugins to be quite reasonable (ref: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/kodi ). And the client (on any platform) is can run independently from the DVR record engine (which can be on another system).

hdhr-dan

Post by hdhr-dan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:06 pm

Wow, thanks for all the great info! Really appreciate it. Gives me much to ponder. Wasn't aware that I could possibly still upgrade to Windows 10 for free.

breezytm

Post by breezytm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:16 am

I think it depends on what it is that you do with your computer other than using it to run the DVR engine. If all you need is a DVR engine I say save some money on power and run the DVR engine on a Raspberry Pi 4 or something. Plus of course compute. When you don’t have an operating system like Windows occupying 30-40% of your computer by just standing idle I mean the Pi is a no brainer.