Upgrading to Windows 10 + replace cable boxes

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
ctviggen

Upgrading to Windows 10 + replace cable boxes

Post by ctviggen » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:33 pm

I have been using my HD Homerun prime for years now. We have one computer that has Windows 7 on it. I was planning to upgrade this to Windows 10, since support for Windows 7 is ending. What software should I use in Windows 10? Kodi? Do I lose the ability to record copy-protected TV?

Is it possible for me to get rid of my cable boxes? We have two cable boxes that cost us $16/month. Does HD Homerun (or anyone else) make a box I could buy to replace the cable boxes?

By the way, could I buy another HD Home run Prime? The HD Prime 6 on Silicon Dust's website seems to not be available, and I do not see an HD Homerun prime.

breezytm

Re: Upgrading to Windows 10 + replace cable boxes

Post by breezytm » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:03 am

Let me reply back base on my point of view

I would replace the computer with a Mi Box. Price look like a steal right now.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Xiaomi-Mi-Bo ... /677842593

I personally feel like the days of computers attached to your TV are long behind us. Some may say that is not true but we can be realistic and accept the change.

With the Mi Box you can use the HDHomeRun live tv app to view both DRM and non-DRM channels or you can use a build in app from Android TV call Live Channels. However, to record, you must sign up for the Sillicondust DVR solution. You can look that up on their webpage for details. With this setup you could get rid of your cable box only if you do not wish to record anything that are encrypted. Currently there isn’t a solution that allow us to do so.

Personally I use the Live Channels app since the UI is similar to a traditional cable box UI. The transition was pretty easy for me, family and friends. But clearly it just comes down to preferences. The Sillicondust app works great for some.

As far as the prime, I would argue to wait for the 6 tuner prime unless you can get a cheap 3 tuner. The 6 tuner has not been released yet.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:39 pm

There is no alternative to WMC for recording DRM channels right now. We're working on adding support to the HDHomeRun DVR but have no ETA on that Live viewing of DRM channels is supported in the HDHomeRun app for Windows 10, Xbox One, iOS, and Google-certified Android devices.

The original HDHomeRun PRIME has been discontinued and all remaining units sold out over a year ago. The only option for obtaining one now would be a used device on eBay or similar.

destrekor

Post by destrekor » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 pm

jasonl wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:39 pm
There is no alternative to WMC for recording DRM channels right now. We're working on adding support to the HDHomeRun DVR but have no ETA on that Live viewing of DRM channels is supported in the HDHomeRun app for Windows 10, Xbox One, iOS, and Google-certified Android devices.

The original HDHomeRun PRIME has been discontinued and all remaining units sold out over a year ago. The only option for obtaining one now would be a used device on eBay or similar.
I poke my head in here from time to time looking to see if there have been any status updates, but as yet there is still nothing like a tracker board or outline of current status for each development objective (which would preferably also have any ongoing and expected roadblocks, like not enough money to get something crucial).

There are some of us here continuing to pay absurd cable bills based on the apparently absurd notion that eventually there will be a secure and supported recording platform for those of us with no choice for CableCARD compatible providers.

Would you tell me if I was wrong in imagining there is some hope that CableCARD support is just going to completely die off in the industry and you'll be able to ignore the DRM recording community? Because I'm certainly giving up on cable if this is the direction it's going - but I always have hope that perhaps the next administration -- after this current spell of lunacy -- will right the FCC's ship and get that industry up to modern standards.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:16 pm

I'm sure the cable providers hope CableCARD is going to completely die off. That's not our hope, as several of us rely on it for our own setups and we don't want to lose it any more than you do.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm

destrekor wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 pm
Would you tell me if I was wrong in imagining there is some hope that CableCARD support is just going to completely die off in the industry and you'll be able to ignore the DRM recording community?
There are some who will argue that linear cable is dying, and the only question left is what date to etch on the tombstone. And there are certainly some (smaller) MSOs that have abandoned "TV" and gone pure HSI, and suggest that their customers who wish "TV" pick a OTT vendor. But for the majors, who are large enough to negotiate with the content owners and achieve some agreement, the revenue stream (not profit, the profits per sub are smallish, as the content owners get a lot of it (although even smallish, with 30 million customers, can be a lot of money)) for "TV" is substantial, and there are various financial metrics that make large revenue streams very desirable. So the majors are unlikely to end "TV" content quickly. "TV" content, of course, does not necessarily require delivery via CableCARD. It is just the current easy way to do so for many of the cable companies, for much of their content, and will likely be continued for some time for many of the companies. Of course, there is already one major who is offering some newer content and their on-demand library only via IPTV (not linear QAM), and another major that will still sell TV service, but also is willing to suggest you look at YTTV as an alternative depending on your requirements/interests (apparently they are vacillating as to whether they want to continue offering a "TV" service, as it apparently a small part of their entire revenue stream (when your revenue is something like 300 million per day, "TV" is noise)). I would suggest, in summary, linear QAM delivered via CableCARD is not dead yet, although *your* market may vary, and *your* requirements may no longer align with the classic cable offering.
but I always have hope that perhaps the next administration -- after this current spell of lunacy -- will right the FCC's ship and get that industry up to modern standards.
The FCC tried to create a next gen alternative to CableCARD under the previous administration. The attempt failed (miserably)(*). In practice, the time when that could have made a difference, and there could be one solution to rule them all (cable, satellite, iptv, OTA (ATSC 3.0 includes encryption/subscription options), OTT, streaming, whatever), has long past. Everyone and their dog now has their own way forward for protecting and delivering content, and they are not going back.

What one should remember is that no wants cable, or OTA, or even DVDs. What they want it to consume the content they want to consume, when they want it, where they want it, on the device they want it. Free (or at least close to free, including no commercials) would be nice too. CableCARD (and 2.0 (TruWay), or any next gen) was never the goal in itself, it was just a tool. It was a useful tool to move forward at the time. I do not think it will surprise anyone to see the number of total customers with CableCARDs continue a downward trend over the next decades. But even a small number in cable terms is potentially a large market opportunity for a company like SD.

(*) And while there is lots of spin, the ultimate reasons are often summarized as coming down to control, and control means money.

GGRussell
Device ID: 131F5AA2 ; 1325E5E9

Post by GGRussell » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 pm

gtb wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:08 pm
What one should remember is that no wants cable, or OTA, or even DVDs.
Guess I didn't get the memo. Perhaps you should qualify that by saying no MILLENNIAL may not want cable/OTA or DVD. Us Baby Boomers aren't all dead yet. Plus you don't seem to count all the low income individuals and families who can't afford anything other than OTA.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:37 pm

My mother lives with us in an in-law apartment. We pay $18/month for her two cable boxes. We have one home theater computer.

For me, if I could get the 6 tuner box and another (reasonable, say $60) two boxes that connect over my hardwired network to the 6 tuner box, I would do that. I would save $18/month just not renting crappy cable boxes.

ctviggen

Post by ctviggen » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:45 pm

That Mi box does look interesting. I'd have to look into how I can use it, though, and I take it that it goes through our HD homerun to get channels?

If I do want to upgrade my home theater computer to windows 10, is Kodi the best program for that? (We already have movies there, so the kids will be able to use it.)