Source File Not Found DVR Install Error

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
sspell

Source File Not Found DVR Install Error

Post by sspell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:57 am

Hi hope you all doing good. I get the install error "source file not found" installing the latest DVR software. Looks like its looking for the extracted cab install file at "c:\users\ particular user\AppData\roaming\Silicondust\hdhomerun\install" The information is in that folder but not finding it for some reason it deletes it after failed install. permissions should be ok it is able to write and delete but not read it for whatever reason. I installed an older version that works fine "hdhomerun_windows_20180802beta1" This is on Windows 10 version 1909.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Source File Not Found DVR Install Error

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:40 am

Delete the Silicondust folder in c:\users\ particular user\AppData\roaming\ and then try installing again. If you're running any kind of third-party antivirus software, make sure it is disabled during the install process, as this is exactly the kind of thing that third-party antivirus programs tend to break.

sspell

Post by sspell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:44 pm

did all that no luck. what's odd is the old version installed and running fine.
This is an upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10 don't know if it matters in services the service "hdhomerun WMC service" it was set to automatic I just now disabled that still no luck just guessing that was a holdover service from windows 7 and WMC.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Go into the folder where you have the installer .exe located, and click in an empty space so no files are highlighted. Then hold the Shift key and right click in the empty space and select Open PowerShell window here. In PowerShell, run:

Code: Select all

.\hdhomerun_windows_20190621.exe /extract:c:\users\user\AppData\roaming\Silicondust\hdhomerun\install
Substitute the actual username, of course, and if you're installing a beta version, use that version number instead of 20190621. And make sure you have the .\ at the start or it won't work. Once this finishes (should only take a second or two) then run the installer again.

sspell

Post by sspell » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:07 pm

Ok not sure if I did exactly as you said Jason but anyway put the downloaded hdhomerun dvr software in a new folder extracted as you said I then run the 64 bit version extracted. Two were there a 64bit and 32bit. That succeeded in installing the latest version. Any insight to what the problem may have been permission or firewall or what? Thank you

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:17 pm

Something is causing the files to not get extracted properly. I have seen this a few times before but have never been able to identify what specifically is causing it. The default assumption would be an antivirus or other security program, because the installer extracts some files and then runs one of the ones that was just extracted, which could theoretically be a thing that malware or a virus does, but it's also a thing that many installation programs do, so who knows what's going on internally there.