Moved software to new PC, cant find recordings

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
LeeTheTree

Moved software to new PC, cant find recordings

Post by LeeTheTree » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:55 pm

Long time user, very happy, pretty much, doing fine, but PC was really old, having trouble with skips and blocks in recordings after the latest updates and forced new UI, but moved to beta and most everything cleared up, but then the old PC struck again, and I had to move to a better unit.
Moved the hard drive containing the recordings over to new PC, did all the transplant stuff, fixed the location of the recordings to proper location, DVR shows active, tuners online, tasks from old system are all there, watching tv just fine, but when trying to see the previous recordings, nothing...just the message Record your favorite shows with HD DVR...
I probably missed something simple...checked through the help stuff and the forums, remembered to go back and do the PowerShell(administrator) thing that fixes access when the recording is on the same machine running the software...left the software on for awhile in case it has to 'find' itself...
What did I miss?

Windows 10 home
HD Homerun DVR software
HDHR4-2US (Firmware: 20190715beta1, Device ID: 1044C4F6)
HDHR5-2US (Firmware: 20190815beta1 Device ID: 10608A0D)
Intel i7-4770 @ 3.4Ghz, 16Gb RAM, 64bit
1TB OS drive, 2TB for recordings, both attached directly to motherboard, so local.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Moved software to new PC, cant find recordings

Post by NedS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:35 am

Are you able to see recordings from another PC/device on the network (via the HDHomeRun app)?

LeeTheTree

Post by LeeTheTree » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:23 am

Good question...and no, I cannot.
I have kept the old PC basically intact in case I need to pull that overlooked piece of info...is there a file that I should retrieve from there?
Should I have uninstalled HDHR from the old one and then reinstalled on the new one?
and thanks for the help...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:46 am

LeeTheTree wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:23 am
Good question...and no, I cannot.
I have kept the old PC basically intact in case I need to pull that overlooked piece of info...is there a file that I should retrieve from there?
Should I have uninstalled HDHR from the old one and then reinstalled on the new one?
and thanks for the help...
In theory that shouldn't be required, as the DVR software is designed to allow multiple copies running on the same network. However, let's try disabling it on the older PC and see what happens: Open the HDHomeRun Setup utility, click the "DVR" tab, uncheck "use this PC for recordings", then click "Apply".

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:35 pm

What's the last octet of the IP address the new DVR PC is using, so we can tell them apart in the logs?

LeeTheTree

Post by LeeTheTree » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:41 pm

...the last octet of the new PC is .222
...the last octet of the old PC is .201
Regarding previous...
I opened HD setup on the new PC and unchecked the 'use this pc for making recordings' box, applied & OK'd.
I reconnected the old PC to the LAN and internet, ran HD setup, it gave me a popup to let me know that the path to the recordings location was invalid, I unchecked the 'use this pc for making recordings' box, applied & OK'd.
Returned to new PC, ran HD setup, CHECKED the box, applied & OK'd, ran HDHR, still no recordings listed...
...but since the old PC is running, I ran HDHR and guess what?...it shows all the recordings...and will play them!...which means they have to be streaming from the other PC.
Could the fact that this NEW pc used to be in another room and was occasionally used to watch HDHR tv from the OLD pc, be interfering with making the NEW pc replace the OLD pcs recording function?
So, while the OLD pc is online, I checked the tablet & it shows recorded stuff and plays it as well.
So, I rechecked the HD setup on the old PC...then shut it down.
Returned to the tablet, closed and reopened the app, and ...the recordings are available and will playback, so the NEW pc is streaming/hosting without the OLD pc, but the NEW pc still doesn't show any recordings. The tablet also provides the record button on live viewing (which the NEW pc does not), so I tried it...which turned out to be a little tricky.
iPad4, called up live tv, hit the little red record button, the outer white circle turned green, waited 2-3 minutes, hit it again, got a little red multi circle popup displaced to the right of the rec icon...flipped to rec shows, others are there, this one is not. Then tried using discovery and creating a task, the NEW pc hard drive light went active, and the iPad shows the new program...and will play it back...so the only PC that can't access its recordings is the 'host'.
This sounds like the 'windows doesn't allow HDHR to recognize/access itself...but I ran that script...I'll run it again...mainwhile, I"ll send this on to you

LeeTheTree

Post by LeeTheTree » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:44 pm

Here's how it went...

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> CheckNetIsolation LoopbackExempt -a -n="ef712ba7.hdhomerundvr_23nna27hyxhag"
OK.
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Still no recordings on the NEW pc, but now the tablet shows and plays it.

LeeTheTree

Post by LeeTheTree » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:37 am

Also, the scheduled recordings are recording per the task list. All other devices, tablets, laptops, etc. are working as they should, showing the recordings and playing them back, etc.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:03 pm

On the new PC, go into the Windows Store and search for HDHomeRun and select it in the search results. It should either start updating or give you the option to update, which you should do. Once it updates, check again.

LeeTheTree

Post by LeeTheTree » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:21 pm

I downloaded and installed HDHR when after resetting the PC, so I didn't try to do it again. Also, I figured that getting the latest HD Setup would take care of it, regardless, thanks a bunch. I figured it was something simple.
Thank you very much. I can see the recordings and all it well.
I hope this is the toughest problem you'll have to solve this week.
Later,
Lee