HDHomeRun Servio - Copy Files Off Device?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
bigfan99

HDHomeRun Servio - Copy Files Off Device?

Post by bigfan99 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Pre-sales question. Can recordings stored on the HDHomeRun Servio be copied to a Windows 10 PC? I am guessing yes, assuming they are not DRM protected (which I understand is the only content type currently supported by the DVR service).

Thanks!

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun Servio - Copy Files Off Device?

Post by nickk » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:37 pm

Hi,

Files can be transferred by doing a http download.

We have a feature request in for providing the file list via the device webpages which would make it easy.

Nick

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:22 pm

Great, thanks!

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:25 am

nickk wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:37 pm
Hi,

Files can be transferred by doing a http download.

We have a feature request in for providing the file list via the device webpages which would make it easy.

Nick
I now have a Servio on my network as my first step toward moving away from my current WMC7 environment. What is the specific syntax to initiate an http download? Just opening a browser to the IP address does not seem to present an option to browse the files on the Servio. Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:01 am

easiest way is to retrieve the recorded_files.json and use the PlayURL... nice thing is that on a servio you don't need to know the port the engine listens to as it is the normal one for http.

As stated, that was a feature request... the latest version of engine (beta firmware for servio) does display the files but they are not currently links one can click to download which is where I expect such feature to eventually exist.

By the way, it is a real pain to download at 100Mbps (not so much to watch) so you may wish to look at alternative ways to pull it off the drive directly though I will say it probably isn't as easy as it sounds and doing so myself this weekend I'm not sure I can recommend such for those that the target audience of the servio serves.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:50 am

signcarver wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:01 am
easiest way is to retrieve the recorded_files.json and use the PlayURL... nice thing is that on a servio you don't need to know the port the engine listens to as it is the normal one for http.

As stated, that was a feature request... the latest version of engine (beta firmware for servio) does display the files but they are not currently links one can click to download which is where I expect such feature to eventually exist.

By the way, it is a real pain to download at 100Mbps (not so much to watch) so you may wish to look at alternative ways to pull it off the drive directly though I will say it probably isn't as easy as it sounds and doing so myself this weekend I'm not sure I can recommend such for those that the target audience of the servio serves.
How does one "retrieve the recorded_files.json"?

I occasionally load non-DRM content into a video editor to remove commercials before creating a Blu-ray disc for personal use, so having access to the Servio recorded files is important for this use case.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:07 am

Add /recorded_files.json to the ip address of the device such as in your browser

Code: Select all

http://x x.x.x/recorded_files.json
Note some browsers these days may try to use https if you don't specify

As I recall if you just click on the link to the device from my.hdhomerun.com it is just the ip in the url (it also might have the port such as :80 and might already have the / at the end, other engines are usually on a different port so you must keep that :xxxxx but by default ) so just add it to the end in the address bar but if that link took you to a specific page such as lineup.html replace what is after the / (after the ip) with recorded_files.json

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44 am

I find Firefox works best for this. It will by default give you a collapsed list of everything in the file, but if you click on Raw Data at the top, then Pretty Print, it will give you something that's a bit easier to look at than just the regular wall-o-text.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:47 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:44 am
I find Firefox works best for this. It will by default give you a collapsed list of everything in the file, but if you click on Raw Data at the top, then Pretty Print, it will give you something that's a bit easier to look at than just the regular wall-o-text.
When accessing the "recorded_files.json" on the Servio I see the menu (JSON, Raw data, Headers), but going to the Raw Data and then "Pretty Print" this is no content (only "[]") appears on the screen.

There is one recorded program on the Servio. Should I expect to see some content?

Any insights? (used Firefox)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 pm

You should expect to see something there. Can you record something else and see if it comes up?

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:30 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:49 pm
You should expect to see something there. Can you record something else and see if it comes up?
I figured out the issue but need help correcting it. The Windows 10 machine recordings are going to my old WMC-7 machine instead of the Servio (the "HDHomeRun Record" instance on the my.hdhomerun.com page shows the Record Path going to the WMC-7 machine).

I am guessing there is a DVR Record function running on the WMC-7 machine, which is not what I want. I want the WMC-7 machine to continue to record as before (i.e., before the Servio and before I introduce the Live/DVR functionality was introduce on my network), until which time I decommission it (January 2020 or whenever the Live/DVR solution allows DRM-protected content to be recorded). The Windows 10 machine should have it recorded programs go to the Servio. [As my HDHomeRun Prime firmware was from 2016, the Windows 10 app installation did not automatically update the firmware. I then ran the HDHomeRun Windows client on the WMC-7 machine, which I am guess created a DVR process on the WMC-7]

Thanks in advance for the guidance to correct my apparent configuration errors.

---Rob

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:49 pm

Make sure you only have one engine running and that they are a recent version as they detect each other and generally the one with the largest space does the recording. The clients use whichever engine did the recording by retrieving the recorded_files.json from any/every detected engine. For most people it probably makes most sense to only have one engine running on the network.

I was having issues lately that the servio only had 2GB free but was always the device picked for the live tv buffer and as a result within an hour the device would fill up and playback would start over again at the beginning. I also had 3-4 other engines.

On any windows machine that you don't want the engine running on, run the hdhomerun setup program (from the full software package) and click "any" option on the dvr tab that doesn't say to use that pc for recordings.

bigfan99

Post by bigfan99 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:14 pm

signcarver wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:49 pm
Make sure you only have one engine running and that they are a recent version as they detect each other and generally the one with the largest space does the recording. The clients use whichever engine did the recording by retrieving the recorded_files.json from any/every detected engine. For most people it probably makes most sense to only have one engine running on the network.

I was having issues lately that the servio only had 2GB free but was always the device picked for the live tv buffer and as a result within an hour the device would fill up and playback would start over again at the beginning. I also had 3-4 other engines.

On any windows machine that you don't want the engine running on, run the hdhomerun setup program (from the full software package) and click "any" option on the dvr tab that doesn't say to use that pc for recordings.
Thanks. The fix was as you indicated on the WMC-7 machine. I re-ran the HDHomeRunSetup on the WMC-7 machine and on the DVR tab removed the "Use this PC for making recordings" (I confused the SiliconDust DVR with the WMC record function). Now the "recorded_files.json" on the Servio lists the recorded Servio content (did a short test recorded once I disable the WMC-7 PC SiliconDust DVR instance). Copying the "PlayURL" value into a browser then allows a "Save" function. The resulting saved file was named "Play" with no extension (giving it a "mts" extension allowed me to open it is VLC and my video editor).