TV show consistently not recording

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Timbo2

TV show consistently not recording

Post by Timbo2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:57 am

My wife is a big "Below Deck" fan and the show has stopped recording.

I've moved it to the top of queue and if you open the Task it says there is a red dot indicating that it is going to record, but it doesn't record. It's now missed several airings. It's on Bravo and other shows on Bravo are recording just fine. As it is at the top of the queue it should be able to find a tuner and I don't believe there were any other recording at all scheduled while it was on.

I wish there was some better logging available to the user to figure out what is going on. What do you need me to do on my end to try to figure out what is going on? What do you need logging enabled on? Both my Prime and my Servio? And how long will the logging last - I'm assuming I'm going to have to coordinate when the show is scheduled to record to overlap with the logging. Please give us some better user logging!

Thanks.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: TV show consistently not recording

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:38 am

Yes, please enable the sending of diagnostic data on both the PRIME and SERVIO, and also run a channel scan on the PRIME. The sending of data will stay enabled for 10 days. We'll need the device IDs for both to check the logs.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Send diagnostics enabled.

HDHomeRun PRIME 1318B8DD
HDHomeRun SERVIO 15303B1E

All times are Eastern. 11/11
Channel scan from 5:59pm to 6:05pm
Validated access to channel 685 on Live TV around 6:45pm

Task to record Below Deck - "Magic Ashton" at 8:00pm on channel 685
Prime indicated it was streaming that channel and one other (JAG)
Servio indicated it was receiving TWO streams.

However, there is no completed recording visible for "Below Deck"

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:41 am

Please reboot the SERVIO and see if the missing recordings show up.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:03 am

OK, I'll do that when I get home from work tonight.

Is there a "cleaner" way to reboot from a command line in Windows to do this rather than pulling the plug on a spinning hard drive?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:06 am

Code: Select all

"%programfiles%\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 15303B1E set /sys/restart self

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:54 pm

That worked!

However, I had multiple, multiple recordings of the same show for multiple episodes. So something like 8 or 10 episodes suddenly appeared.

Is this a known issue and/or is there a current resolution?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:49 pm

It is an issue we've seen before but we have never been able to capture diagnostic data of it happening, because it doesn't happen consistently. It will run fine for months and then one day the part that monitors the recordings stops receiving notifications when new recordings are made. Without logs of it happening, we don't have a place to start looking.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:06 pm

The interesting thing is that it was only this one show.

If it does it again I'll let you all know. I'll let it log until it times out 10 days from now. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:04 pm

Same issue again last night 11/18 around 9:00pm or so Eastern. Logging has been on so it should have been captured.

For some unknown reason possibly that my wife accidentally deleted the task, there was no "Below Deck" in the task list. I'd love to know how or when the task was deleted. Setting that aside...

I added the task back to record the Below Deck. It proceeded to immediately record a partial show. Realizing that they were repeating the same show again at 10:00pm I clicked on the show that was in the middle of recording and selected delete and re-record. At that point it deleted the show and scheduled a task to JUST record the single episode and canceled the series recording. No matter what I did I could only record single episodes at that point and couldn't set a series recording.

But here is where it gets interesting - the single episode that it recorded again went into the black hole. Other recordings showed up, but no "Below Deck". The only way to get that recording to show up was again to reboot the Servio this morning.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:15 pm

I think trying to delete while it was still recording caused something to go wrong. There's an error logged from the part of the DVR that monitors the recording directory exactly 1 minute after the second airing started. I've forwarded the details to the engineering team to review.

Timbo2

Post by Timbo2 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:00 am

This happened again. I had another show disappear until a reboot.

After a conversation with my wife I have a feeling it is related to deleting an actively recording show.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:50 pm

OK, I've relayed that to the development team to investigate further.