Android app & channel scan?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
w9wi

Android app & channel scan?

Post by w9wi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:06 am

Android app version 20191025 running on a Google Pixel 2XL running Android 10. Connecting to an old dual-tuner unit.

Can't figure out how to do a channel scan. I'm using an OTA antenna in Nashville, where numerous stations changed frequency two weeks ago. I can initiate a scan on my Windows clients and my tablet with an older version of the app -- but the phone still has the old data. (for example, if I try to pull up WNPX-Ion channel 28, I get WTVF-CBS channel 5. WTVF moved to Ion's old frequency.)

Tried clearing app data. Tried totally uninstalling & reinstalling the app. Neither action seems to clear the physical-to-virtual channel mapping. The "tap the screen three times with four fingers" thing does pull up a menu, but channel scanning doesn't seem to be one of those options.

Is there a channel scan menu somewhere else?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Android app & channel scan?

Post by signcarver » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:25 am

unless it is a modern tuner (prime, expand, extend, connect, connect duo/quatro, scribe duo/quatro) which maintains the lineup itself, with the older tuners, one must do a channel scan from a windows machine as the device itself has no concept of maintaining a lineup but with the most recent firmware (for those legacy models) can report a URL to SD's servers to provide the lineup from the windows scan. Make sure that windows setup and firmware are up to date (the date for legacy firmware is 20170930 but you would probably want to be on a more recent setup to initiate the scan)... Note that the device must have internet connection.

w9wi

Re: Android app & channel scan?

Post by w9wi » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:59 pm

Ah, so on this old tuner the available channels list comes from SD over the Internet. Makes sense. I was trying to figure out how that was happening. My desktop machine runs Ubuntu -- it was behaving but apparently hdhomerun_config_gui doesn't report its results to the servers?

Booted the WIn10 laptop, rescanned -- and we're good. Thanks! This is proving to be a useful method for watching MeTV, after they migrated to a LPTV station which requires an antenna in the attic -- and we didn't want to drill holes in the wall to get a cable down to the TVs...