Does my current (temporary) setup make sense?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Bibbit

Does my current (temporary) setup make sense?

Post by Bibbit » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 am

I'm trying to help my dad transition to the DVR software. He's been using WMC for years and finding it hard to use HD's DVR. Right now I have him setup with a Windows 8.1 PC running WMC, and a new ASRock DeskMioni A300W running Windows 10 and the HD DVR.My dad simply switches HDMI inputs when he wants to try out HD DVR.

The recording engine is setup on the Windows 8.1 PC, with the D drive used for the storage location. Is that OK, or should it be setup on the Windows 10 PC?

Also, for the time being, while he still has 2 PCs, would it make sense to have the storage moved to a NAS or even a hard drive connected to his router?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Does my current (temporary) setup make sense?

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:39 am

It's fine to run the DVR on either PC. A NAS box would work as well. Routers are not recommended; most wouldn't have any way to install the software at all, and the ones that do tend to do a poor job of it since they're busy doing router stuff.

Bibbit

Post by Bibbit » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:31 am

Thanks for the reply.

I thought I replied to this over a month ago. :roll: Anyway, when I said router I meant a hard drive accessed through the router's USB port.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:04 am

Keep in mind storage must be local to the dvr engine... when you mention hard drive connected to router, that would mean the router would need to be running the dvr engine as you can't store there from either windows machine (to play, clients access the record engine, not the actual files, though there may be some unofficial things that also can access by file if it is also a share). As stated, routers generally make a very poor choice as something to run the engine.

The only issue on your setup would be if the windows 10 client can't see the record engine on the other machine (i.e. it is off, or other network issues) but many may find having a record engine on a different machine more desirable as well as find they don't need "additional" configuration of the windows 10 machine when the engine is on the same machine as the client. I would also probably load kodi and either the official or unofficial add-on on the windows 8.1 machine (most likely the unofficial one might be more easily accepted coming from wmc)