DVR Recording Starts Late

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
jasonl
Silicondust

Re: DVR Recording Starts Late

Post by jasonl » Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:46 pm

I don't have access to do that. It would have no impact on the issue anyway. We know exactly what was wrong here, your NAS's clock was running about 8 minutes slow per hour. Once that's fixed or you switch the DVR to a different device recordings will work normally.

whw_HDHR

Post by whw_HDHR » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:03 am

I reinstalled the HDHR app and did setup on my Windows 10 PC.
When the setup started I got a message box that it could not find the HDHR network share that it was using on the server (as appropriate as I deleted it and rebooted server).
I pointed the DVR to a local HDD on my PC (same one I tried using earlier) and it only recorded 6 minutes of a 1 hour show and it has a bright green bar across the top of the recording (video artifact).
Also when I re-scanned channels last night it did not pick up 6 channels that are major networks in the area, ABC affiliate and it's sub-channels and CBS local provider channels.
I re-scanned this morning, they did not come back, I hooked the antenna up to the TV directly and they ALL come in w/o issue.
At this point I think I have a defective unit and will be returning it to the retailer I bought it from.
Been overall a horrible experience out of the box.
Unless you can think of something else then I think I am done with Silicon Dust.

Thank you for your time....

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Please enable the sending of diagnostic data on the HDHomeRun and run a channel scan (https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... iagnostics) then reply back and we will check the logs to see what the issue with the signal is.

whw_HDHR

Post by whw_HDHR » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:04 pm

I have check the "Send Diagnostics..." box and re-ran the scan, 2 channels came back still missing a few though.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:12 pm

You're overloading the input to the HDHomeRun with an excessively amplified signal. Remove or turn off your amplifier and repeat the scan and see if your missing channels come back.

whw_HDHR

Post by whw_HDHR » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Yest that did bring them back... may have this also been the issue with the recording?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:44 pm

Starting late? No, that was the broken clock in your NAS.

whw_HDHR

Post by whw_HDHR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:15 pm

Set up multiple recordings and only 1 of them recorded and it started well into the program and still has the green artifact at the top of the recording.
The Windows time stamp on the MPG file shows it starting to record at 637pm and it was scheduled to do a 6pm and 630pm recording.
I looked at the log on the disk and it is showing time in hh:mm:ss format starting at 00;00;00 and proceeding forward, is that what is correct or should it be showing actual clock time?
This is a 2TB drive on my local Windows 10 PC with the time and date set correctly.
The machine is set not to sleep and I have verified it did not during the time it should have been recording.

Thanks...

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:33 pm

log times will be UTC

the filename itself has the date/time it should have started recording (in UTC)

The time of the file is typically the end of the recording but I have seen it all over the place on windows even when the file is correct. For example on one of my series that used to start at 7pm usually has 8pm listed as the time but one episode has 8:47pm as the time of the file and another even has 3:23pm (4 hours before it ever would have recorded it as it was same date)... I just verified that both of these files are complete and correct. Note: I don't have much recorded by windows as I usually have one of my 4 NAS's do the recording (or my servio) and rarely have an engine running on windows.

The engine itself expects a clock to not be "accurate" and uses time it gets from the internet and sees how far your time is off this should be rather consistent throughout the day of about the same number of seconds off. However if this varies widely, there may be some computations that screw things up if the clock isn't consistent of what a "second" is. It might be possible to have things computed wrong if you don't have the local timezone set correctly (including taking into account of DST/summer time if necessary) but I have not seen that happen with this DVR but have on many occasions seen such with other DVRs but I am not sure I have ever encountered this DVR on a system without the correct timezone information.

I suggest making sure the content is actually off.

whw_HDHR

Post by whw_HDHR » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:33 pm

Yes I watch the content of the recorded episode and they start 6 mins after the actual air time of the episode, so the episode has 6 minutes truncated from the start.
I honestly do not care what all the time stamps say as long as the recording is correct, it is not.

I'm sorry I am not being mean, I will call Silicon Dust and get the issue worked out.
If their support line cannot do anything the unit goes back.

Thank you for your help,

nateb
Silicondust
Device ID: 1051C73D, 10759F29

Post by nateb » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:22 pm

whw_HDHR wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:15 pm
Set up multiple recordings and only 1 of them recorded and it started well into the program and still has the green artifact at the top of the recording.
The Windows time stamp on the MPG file shows it starting to record at 637pm and it was scheduled to do a 6pm and 630pm recording.
I looked at the log on the disk and it is showing time in hh:mm:ss format starting at 00;00;00 and proceeding forward, is that what is correct or should it be showing actual clock time?
This is a 2TB drive on my local Windows 10 PC with the time and date set correctly.
The machine is set not to sleep and I have verified it did not during the time it should have been recording.

Thanks...
Just to make sure, this is still with the amplifier removed or turned off?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:42 pm

There were no DVR recordings scheduled when the DVR checked in at 4:32pm. The next time it checked in at 6:37 there were recordings, and it started immediate. When and how did you schedule the recordings of The Big Bang Theory?

It looks like there was another recording that was to have taken place just after midnight, but the PC had been shut down just prior to midnight and wasn't turned back on until the next day at 11:17am. so that was not able to record. There were 5 recordings scheduled on Saturday, KMBC 9 News at 5:00 and two episodes of TBBT, and all 5 recorded as scheduled.