Choppy video on some channels with prime/fios

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
cordshaving

Choppy video on some channels with prime/fios

Post by cordshaving » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 pm

I've tried searching the forums but didn't see anything similar to what I'm seeing, sorry if this was already covered somewhere else.

I have a hdhomerun prime with FIOS in the Philadelphia area. The prime is accessed by 2 shield TV's (using live channels & plex) and a firestick (plex only because the 2nd generation does not deal well with mpeg2 above 720p).

Most channels work great and I prefer the built-in live channels android tv app due to its channel sorting. Network channels, Discovery, ESPN all look perfect, but BBC America and TLC both have choppy video. Mostly occurring while panning and sceen cutting, it almost appears as a blink of a previous frame. The effect is almost constant. I tried changing all sorts of setting on the shield TV, nothing seemed to improve the picture. Thinking the problem was the live channels app, I opened up the hdhomerun app and saw the same problem. I then tried to back rev the app on one of my shields and since the content wasn't the same, it was hard to compare, but it did look better. There was still a skip or choppiness to the video but it seemed more watchable. If I run the video through plex, everything seems fine regardless of transcoding or not-transcoding. I assume its not a hardware issue since most channels work great. I've also had the impression over the years that FIOS over compresses some channels, could this cause the playback to have an issue? Any suggestions?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Choppy video on some channels with prime/fios

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:24 pm

Do you see the issue in the HDHomeRun app on the Fire TV Stick? Just as a test, not for regular use, because of the 1080i issues.

Odd that TLC would have an issue but Discovery wouldn't, since TLC is a Discovery network and they would be running through the same distribution paths and would presumably end up encoded the same way. Do you watch a lot of shows on Discovery? Just trying to determine if maybe it's only an issue on certain kinds of content, and you just don't happen to watch any affected shows on Discovery, but others might still have the problem.

cordshaving

Post by cordshaving » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:25 am

I will try the hdhomerun app on the firestick, but with the tearing with motion at 1080i, I may not be able to tell. I will also try on an android tablet, I usually use plex from the tablet because I use the transcoding there as well.

I could be wrong on how things are implemented, but I imagine a circular frame buffer. It almost looks to me like the frame buffer "wraps", so when there is a quick change of scene, the new background starts to display and then there is a few frames left of the old background/frame which quickly flashes to the screen. Sorry, thats the best I can describe it. It does seem to be better at some times and worse at others, I don't know if that is a factor of movement. In watching TLC for a little bit, the commercials seems to be much better than the shows, so maybe it is something about the content.

I really don't watch TLC, but my wife is a constant watcher of surgeries and wedding dress selection shows, so it was her ire that drove me here.

I watch a lot of Discovery, and I have not noticed the same effect.

I think I would have to use the "network tuner (BETA)" in order to use the live channels DVR, maybe if I record directly to the shield the playback might tell me something. I don't have the network tuner channels enabled because I did not get the DRM channels when I tried it previously. I know the live channels app is google llc, but do you know if the included DVR records in MPEG2? And if I use the network tuner channels does the "player" use the hdhomerun player or a different one?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:33 pm

Network Tuner records exactly what it gets from the HDHomeRun, and plays it back using their player. It does not support DRM.