Lost Recordings/DVR - Windows Update?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Dragonwyntir

Lost Recordings/DVR - Windows Update?

Post by Dragonwyntir » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:32 pm

Starting yesterday, I am missing all my recordings and DVR functionality. I run the HDHomerun DVR software on my Windows Server 2016 box, and yesterday it received a patch (KB4519979). Seems like I lost the recordings thereafter. Typically I'd just roll that patch back, but it's also a WSUS server, so it will continue to receive this patch from Microsoft unless I turn that functionality off. I saw another post where someone took a Win10 October KB from Microsoft and lost their recordings (different KB of course since the OS versions are different), but perhaps something MS added to their October cumulatives caused the issue? Anyway, hoping for a quick fix - let me know how I can help troubleshoot. Thanks!

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Lost Recordings/DVR - Windows Update?

Post by jasonl » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:54 pm

We're investigating to see what Microsoft changed that is causing problems.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:37 am

I'm told that an update has been submitted to the Windows 10 app store for the viewer app that will fix this.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:46 am

The updated app has been published on Microsoft app store.

To update please open the Microsoft Store and go into Downloads and Updates.

Nick

Dragonwyntir

Post by Dragonwyntir » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:23 pm

Thank you all for jumping on this so quickly. Wondering if my problem is a bit different (but related - I did just patch my server with the similar October cumulative update the day it stopped) , since what I'm installing on the Windows 2016 Server isn't the Win10 streaming client, but rather the Win32 installer that runs Record Engine. Also, this problem manifests itself on Android and Xbox (the latter did just get an update, but it still isn't working). Ready to try other troubleshooting steps, but I'm wondering if the fix you made client-side could also be applied at the DVR/Record Engine side?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:20 am

We determined that the issue caused by that KB is specific to running the DVR and the client on the same device. If you're seeing issues on other devices then it's not the same issue. What's the device ID for your HDHomeRun?

Dragonwyntir

Post by Dragonwyntir » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:42 am

Hi Jason,

Here is my Device ID:

1327b9ce

I've turned on diagnostic info. FYI, while I can no longer reach the DVR running on this server from any client (Win10, Xbox, Android) since that update, I do see that things are still recording, so that's a relief for whenever I can reach the DVR again.

Thanks for all your help!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:35 pm

Can you enable the sending of diagnostic data in the HDHomeRun app on Android then quit and reopen the app? Reply back once that's done and we'll see what it's detecting.

Dragonwyntir

Post by Dragonwyntir » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:08 pm

OK Jason, all set, just launched Android app and turn on diagnostic logging.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:09 pm

Can you check the firewall configuration and make sure the DVR still has full network access?

Dragonwyntir

Post by Dragonwyntir » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:51 pm

Hi Jason,

Yes, I checked the firewall, and all the rules are still in place to allow HDHR traffic through. Just to test, I completely disabled the firewall and no help.

The only thing that changed was the Windows Update that occurred on the Windows Server the day I lost DVR connectivity.

Dragonwyntir

Post by Dragonwyntir » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:07 am

Good morning Jason,

Any ideas on this? I'm missing The Blacklist! :)

Thanks for all your help!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:03 pm

Are you not able to block the reinstall of that particular update via WSUS? We don't have a Windows Server 2016 PC set up, and there's some sort of issue with our MSDN account that the team is trying to work through with Microsoft, so we don't have a way to get a copy at the moment to try to figure out what Microsoft changed.

Dragonwyntir

Post by Dragonwyntir » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Jason,

I'll uninstall it for now, and try to block it. The concern is that, since this server is also a WSUS server, it automatically patches itself every month (this is either WSUS or Windows Server Essentials, but either way it is defaulted to do this), so next month's cumulative update may simply break it again. Hoping for a more permanent solution, or perhaps next week's patch will not have the same issue?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:18 pm

That would be the hope, otherwise I'm not real sure where we go from there without having the ability to track things down locally.