Windows 7 Viewer no video and no sound

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
shawn_75

Re: Windows 7 Viewer no video and no sound

Post by shawn_75 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm

Not the OP here, but I'm having the same problem with no video and no sound, but the guide works just fine on the Windows 7 Veiw application.

Watching Wireshark during channel changes shows zero network activity between my PC and the HDHR Dual. If I run Network Tuner Monitor, there is plenty of activity between my PC and the HDHR Dual.

Firewall rules are in place for comms between the two. Turning the firewall off gives same result. The only antivirus I'm using is Microsoft Security Essentials.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:58 pm

"At this point all I can think of would be to remote in to your PC via Teamviewer or something and take a look and see if there's something we're missing. Would you be OK with that?"

Yeah we can set something up whilst being mindful of a large time difference of course.

New data point:

I brought in and set up a win 7 computer that to my knowledge has had not had HDH installed on it before.
I downloaded and ran the the appropriate "windows" file from here http://download.silicondust.com/hdhomer ... indows.exe

The program installed properly and also installed the C++ runtime etc.
It detected the hardware and the installation was completed normally. It scanned and identified all the channels available.
I started View it started normally and displayed no sound or picture. The program guiide was complete and up to date and fully accessible.

I ran HDH setup again and selected a channel from the scanned list with a single mouse click. This opened Windows Media Player which had never been used before. VLC is not employed on this computer.

After setting up WMP from scratch it opened normally and displayed the picture and sound properly from the HDH box. I was able to change channels by selecting from the scanned list on setup and a simple click opened it in WMP each time.

In summary: Exactly the same response as the other computers. View opens but shows neither sound nor vision.

Clearly the HDHomerun hardware is taking in the TV signal, converting it and then putting it on the LAN. Other software can receive and convert the signal from the HDH box successfully. Only the View software fails to display the TV sound and vision but it accurately accesses and displays the program information.

So pretty much back to where we started this thread.

Is there a way of rolling back the firmware on the box?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm

The last firmware update on the HDHR3-DT was over 2 years ago, so it's unlikely that your device has updated any time recently.

jazzy112

Post by jazzy112 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:35 pm

WMC would be fabulous if the guide still worked for the average person :) When MS broke that, that's what finally got me to move my home PC to the never ending horror story that is Windows 10.

Be mindful now that W7 is nearing End of Support, those with Auto Updates enabled will most certainly have something intentionally broken by Microsoft. The issue you are experiencing could be just that. MS does it all the time on Win 10, they intentionally break something which inevitably forces you to reboot and apply the update. Usually for me it's something network related.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:16 pm

jasonl wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:04 pm
The last firmware update on the HDHR3-DT was over 2 years ago, so it's unlikely that your device has updated any time recently.
Nonetheless it's worth doing simply to rule it out.

At the moment there is no clear point of failure. We know that the fault is replicated by any Win 7 machine that uses this particular HDH device.
I will see if I can get something with another OS that can use View and see what happens. Even if that is successful it doesn't rule out a problem with the HDH firmware. If it does fail however then suddenly it can be narrowed down to precisely that.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Just set up a different computer (again) with a new drive and a complete clean install of Win 7 Pro 64.

No other programs present.

Installed HDHomerun fresh downloaded from support page.
Exactly the same result as all the others. View shows no sound or vision. Program guide is fully operational.

Set up Windows Media Player - (sound and picture) works perfectly in that environment.

VLC is not installed on this machine at all.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:20 pm

Trying to set up Android.

App seems incomplete or something. Pretty much does nothing at all.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:11 pm

Please open the HDHomeRun app, three-finger tap the screen 4 times (or press play/pause 13 times if using a remote) and enable Send diagnostic information. Close and reopen the app, then reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:27 pm

What I can tell you is that the Android app (basically View on Android) now works properly after I allowed wireless devices access to to the home lan (silly me). Lots of good reasons to have it blocked of course!

Reading back through this thread and searching wider across the net it is now obvious that I am far far from alone with this problem. It sure as heck isn't just me.

Dustin

Post by Dustin » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:00 am

Tried to check it on XP and it won't install and according to the message cannot be installed on Windows versions prior to 7.