Internet

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
niquekk

Internet

Post by niquekk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi, what port forwards do I need to access my HDHomeRun Connect Duo over the internet?
I'm going to get a VPN set up soon but for now I'd like to try this
I've got 1 Gbit upload so it should be more than enough

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Internet

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:02 pm

It won't work, there are TTL limits on the outgoing packets from the HDHomeRun. Normally you'd want to use something like Plex or Emby that can take the video from the HDHomeRun and convert it to a format more suitable for streaming, even if you have gigabit upload.

niquekk

Post by niquekk » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Can't I just set the TTL in iptables on my router?

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:48 pm

Yes, you could run the packets though iptables mangle and change the TTL.

HTTP streaming is over port 5004. There is no authentication or security on that, so if you expose it to the world, anyone who happens to stumble across it will be able to stream video from your HDHomeRun and tie up the tuners, so you're still better off with something more secure like Plex or a VPN. Note that the HDHomeRun app would not work remotely; you'd need to use something like VLC and directly entering the channel URLs to access. The HTTP API is documented at https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/http_api.

niquekk

Post by niquekk » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:58 am

Alrighty then, looks like I'll wait until I figure out the VPN stuff on my Unifi router cheers

niquekk

Post by niquekk » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:39 pm

Interestingly enough, just doing the iptables rules works great, over LTE
I added another rule to make sure only my phone is allowed to connect to that port
L2TP VPN however does not work, it's too choppy to be useable
Guessing if my router had a faster cpu it would probably be better for the VPN, idk :?: