DVR not showing as active in myHDHomeRun screen

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
SueLing

DVR not showing as active in myHDHomeRun screen

Post by SueLing » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:08 pm

So when I got to my.HDHomerun.com, it used to show my DVR was active but no longer does so no matter how many times i reboot or try to restart it using Terminal on my MAC. I did have my router upgraded and changed out yesterday and that might have been when it started... and I do have my MAC hooked up directly to the router now instead of the powerline ethernet it was connected to yesterday. I used to have to leave my wireless on, but I just hardwired them both to the same time capsule router a few minutes and ago now my MAC can still see it without the wireless needing to be on (i used to have to put on wireless for it to be seen but I currently have wireless off).

So basically, it looks like i can record via discovery only (not directly form live view), but I just tested this and set a task to record something now, but it didn't start running until I ran the dvr setup again and once that was complete, then it started recording. I can't see the record button on the live screen like i used to be able to when it showed up as activated on my homescreen. edit: and nothing is showing up on my recorded screen like it used to.

I am able to record from Emby fine as I set that up yesterday to test it out. Please let me know what needs to be done to get the record button back on my live tv view so that if iIm ever watching directly from another device I can record should I choose to. I know I can do it via Emby, but i like features to work if I've paid for them and recording directly to mpg file is a plus as well for some situations even though the .ts files show up immediately on my Emby server.

Thanks
Sue-Ling

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: DVR not showing as active in myHDHomeRun screen

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:20 pm

Is this when using the HDHomeRun app on the same Mac as the DVR is running on, or are you running the app on something different?

What is the full layout of the network? Do you have multiple routers or anything like that in use?

SueLing

Post by SueLing » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:13 pm

edit: :D replied with quotes below in case it notifies you
Last edited by SueLing on Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SueLing

Post by SueLing » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:20 pm
Is this when using the HDHomeRun app on the same Mac as the DVR is running on, or are you running the app on something different?

What is the full layout of the network? Do you have multiple routers or anything like that in use?
Yes, it's all running on the same MAC where my recordings are stored onto an external drive. It was working a couple days ago and like i said... when i run the setup of the DVR it'll start the recording but otherwise doesn't show up as being active anymore on the hdhomerun dashboard like it did either yesterday or the day before. I try running the app on different devices as well and there is no record option since the DVR is showing as inactive.

I have my DSL router sitting right next to my computer (now that i had the tech put it out here to centralize the location and get stronger reception), but now that it's out here I have my time capsule hardwired to dsl router, and then both my MAC and HDHomerun Quattro hardwired to my time capsule. My Time Capsule is basically a router extension cuz it provides three more ethernet ports to connect something to. I have another time capsule on my network (as both provide a wireless AP should i need it) but since it's hardwired now... i'm still trying to understand where my DVR option magically disappeared to!

The IP for my MAC is 192.168.0.2 and the HDHR is 192.168.0.47 according to my router's device table.

Like i said.. it worked yesterday before router change, now i can see HDHR better without wireless enabled cuz they're both hardwired but my DVR no longer shows as active on home dashboard.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 pm

Check your firewall configuration and make sure HDHomeRun RECORD didn't somehow stop being allowed.

SueLing

Post by SueLing » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:54 pm

jasonl wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:01 pm
Check your firewall configuration and make sure HDHomeRun RECORD didn't somehow stop being allowed.
Wow that was rough as I tried opening up ports like 65001 and what not to no avail (trying to look for the dvr port, that was the only one I really found but prob old). I finally turned off both firewalls (MAC and mcafee) and then I was able to see it.. then isolated the problem to my firewall being "public" and once I changed it to Home or Work on my McAfee firewall, I am able to see it enabled on my dashboard again the record button is back! I deleted the rest of the "exceptions" I opened up while troubleshooting and it's still functioning so I think we're good. Can't remember the last time it asked me to set to home or public when setting an ethernet connection since I mostly use wireless, so this is good to know.

Thanks for your help!
Sue-Ling