Schedule a recording while not connected to network

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
johnd93

Schedule a recording while not connected to network

Post by johnd93 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi,

Is it possible to schedule a recording with HDhomerun DVR outside of the network?

Thanks

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Schedule a recording while not connected to network

Post by jasonl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm

Not easily. I use a VPN and remote desktop to access my home PC when I'm traveling, and if I need to schedule a recording when doing that I just open Kodi and use the add-on.

elabra
Device ID: Device ID's: 101AD44A, 10430908, 104656E0, 104DE046, 131D89CA, 131F796F, 1045F491, 13254474

Post by elabra » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:20 pm

jasonl wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm
Not easily. I use a VPN and remote desktop to access my home PC when I'm traveling, and if I need to schedule a recording when doing that I just open Kodi and use the add-on.
+1

Was using Teamviewer for the remote desktop until they started saying I needed to buy their commercial license even though my use is all personal so I switched to Anydesk for the remote desktop software - works fine but it would be great if we had a remote client but don't expect it because of the way the whole HDHOMERUN setup works.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:07 am

jasonl wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:18 pm
DVR subscriptions are tied to email addresses, so why doesn't SD maintain a database of current subscribers and their recording rules, and allow users to log on to a server to modify their rules from outside their LAN?

The reliance of SD's DVR on a (near-)constant internet connection from the user's home to their servers is frankly what seems to set SD's DVR apart, and not in a good way.

Most OTT providers with DVRs are able to record if your local client has no internet connection; the recordings are waiting for you when you next log in, from any place that isn't geo-blocked.

Most local DVR software is only dependent upon internet access for downloading guide info, not for access to its recording rules and schedule. Since most guides provide about 14 days of schedules, you can go up to 14 days without missing a recording if you don't have internet access.

However, for some unknown reason, SD's DVR requires a phone-home connection every 4 hours or so to even maintain the most basic functionality. (I haven't checked, but can the DVR schedule anything without internet access? What about a program that consists of solely a date, time, duration and channel, just like an old-school VCR?)

johnd93

Post by johnd93 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks for the replies. RDP into my server isn't a bad idea thanks. Just wish we could get like a quick menu in the app on my phone just hit record you know.