Need help getting HDHR recording to my QNap NAS please

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Finchy505

Need help getting HDHR recording to my QNap NAS please

Post by Finchy505 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:56 pm

Hi guys
I'm struggling to get my HDHR to record to my NAS. I have tried using the WIndows setup to tell it to record to the QNAP, but when I use the NAS install option it won't find the QNap on my home network, only my router and my older Synology backup NAS (which it will happily record to).

I've also tried installing the HDHR qpkg onto the QNap, but when I try to open it from the QNap app it just tells me it can't connect. Any ideas?

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Need help getting HDHR recording to my QNap NAS please

Post by jasonl » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm

What's the device ID for your HDHomeRun?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:30 pm

My suggestion is to use demonrik's package and go directly to it not from any qnap app.

For the nas install from windows you must create share named HDHomeRun and for it (the installer) to discover the nas, you typically need a dlna server running on it.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:32 am

jasonl wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:12 pm
What's the device ID for your HDHomeRun?
Hi Jason, my ID is 12501498, thanks
signcarver wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:30 pm
My suggestion is to use demonrik's package and go directly to it not from any qnap app.

For the nas install from windows you must create share named HDHomeRun and for it (the installer) to discover the nas, you typically need a dlna server running on it.
I've just had a look at demonrik's thing (https://github.com/demonrik/HDHR-DVRUI) but I'm not sure I understand how to actually use it on the QNap.

I have the DLNA server enabled on it already, and I have a share called HDHomeRun on it. The QNap doesn't show up on my laptop under network devices, but thinking about it I am connected through an AP on the home network, not the main router. I'll install the HDHR set up on my (wired) desktop when I get the chance, see if that makes any difference.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:37 am

Ah, just remembered, I also get the problem with upnp but can't see m to resolve that. I have Norton on all my devices and have set port rules for them

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:40 am

Doh! Got it. That was linked to the problem, my router has filtering multicast packets. Unticked and now QNap and other upnp devices are showing up. I'll try again

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:46 am

Yep, that's done it. Bozo! I'd even seen that setting ages ago that but thought I had it set correctly!

Can it only record to the HDHomerun folder btw? Is there any way to change it to another share on the QNap, such as TV Recordings, or a sub-folder of a share (I have Emby and Plex reocrdings going to their own folders in a TV Recordings share as one does the kids stuff and one does the rest).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:42 pm

If you open the HDHomeRunDVR entry in the QNAP apps page, it will take you to the web UI, which has an option to change the recording location.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:51 pm

I still can't get that HDHomerunDVR app to work on the QNap. It says it's running in the QNap app centre but it just gives me a blank window when I try to connect to it, and then eventually says cannot connect

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:20 pm

When you're logged in to the QNAP web interface, you should have an address like http://192.168.1.5/. At the end of that, add "HDHomeRunDVR" (no quotes), and see if you can access it that way.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm

Ah, got it, http://192.168.0.51/HDHomeRunDVR/#on mine, great, thanks.

So I stopped the DVR engine, changed the path and restarted it? Is there any way of moving the config file to the other folder as well, or do I need to keep the default HDHomeRunDVR folder in place?

It gave me errors with the default path ....../multimedia/TV Recordings/HDHomeRun (amended from the original one multimedia/HDHomerunDVR), but it seems ok with the path /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/TV Recordings/HDHomeRunDVR.

So will this override changes in the actual HDHomerun and make it now record on the QNap? Or do I still need to tell the HDHomerun to use the QNap instead of the Synology using the Windows setup program?

Also, is there any way to set up a series link for the HD channels only, not both the SD and HD of each?

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Finchy505 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:27 pm
So will this override changes in the actual HDHomerun and make it now record on the QNap? Or do I still need to tell the HDHomerun to use the QNap instead of the Synology using the Windows setup program?
Hmmm, no. I'd set it to record the Apprentice and it's recording to the Synology. How to I get it to change its location? When I try to use the WIndows HDHR setup I go through to add to the QNap, it logs in and says all set up, but then the browser it's opened stays open as though it's not finished the config

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F

Post by signcarver » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:34 pm

Any engine at any time can be the one to pick it up... but if on a modern release of the engine, they "talk" to each other so only one instance is actually recorded so multiple engines are better supported.

You can set a RecordStreamsMax=0 in the config file to not have it record (make sure to restart the engine to pick up the new setting)

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:29 pm

I don't know on the config file location, you should post in the QNAP thread so the package maintainer can advise on that.

If you don't want the Synology to record but still want the DVR to be running there so it can serve the older recordings, you need to add the RecordStreamsMax=0 as signcarver suggested. If you don't want the DVR running at all, you would need to uninstall the package if you used the package to install, or just reboot it if you used the NAS Install from HDHomeRun Setup.

Series recordings will always use the HD channel if a show airs on both HD and SD at the same time. No special action is needed there.

Finchy505

Post by Finchy505 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:57 am

OK, so I shutdown the Synology NAS and rebooted the HDHR, then started to record a TV show. It's now recording to the QNap, but to the default HDHR folder, not the new one I have changed it to in the QNAP HDHomeRun DVR Manager.

I notice that when I try to stop or restart the DVR engine in that manager it gives me a message at the bottom to say it can't as it's recording. It says this every time, even though there's nothing recording and no devices using the HDHR.

Any ideas?

At least it's recording to the right device now.....!